Segmenting on an oblique plane 2D image

Hi Mr. Pinter.
I’m having a similar issue, I think, based on the description. But the button suggested causes my screen just to revert back to the original slice, not the oblique slice I need.

I have a CT scan, and need to measure the area of the end plate on a vertebral body. The spine is not always in line with the orientation of the slice, so I used an oblique slice to view the end plate and take a measurement like so:

1. Reformat module - select red slice, then adjust A-P and L-R until the red slice is aligned as best I can
  2. Markups module - draw a closed loop around the area of interest. Then use the code from Mr. Lasso in another question to calculate the area within the loop. How can I calculate an area on a CT image. I can calculate volumes (mm^3) but not areas (mm^2) - #4 by lassoan

I would prefer to make a more consistent calculation based on threshold of the bone, vs my eye drawing a loop. I repeated the process a few times, and I get slightly different values. I have about 90 of these measurements to take, so I don’t want to introduce variation from my own ability to draw on the screen. And it’s quite a lot of measures to do multiple times and take an average.
I was hoping to use the segment function for a single oblique slice. I have tried to take a segment on the oblique plane, but 3D slicer always shows the segment across all of the original slices when I try this. I get a short volume, rather than the 2D segment on the oblique plane.

I was hoping your solution to this question would work for me, but when I click the button you highlighted, it just reverts the view back to an axial slice, rather than the oblique one. For me, it acts as a “undo reformat” button.

Is there another way?

Below is an image of the oblique plane. I’m using a sample data set from Slicer rather than my actual data but it is the same part of the body.