Stable update notification

In some other applications the About dialog will show the current version, but also if there is an update available. Should it be added here in Slicer too? Currently there is a link to download a newer Slicer version, but doesn’t indicate if there is actually a newer version to download or not.

Partially checked means that application update check or extension update check is enabled but not both. I’ll add an explanation to the tooltip.

How does this message look in the about window?

If there is no update then the window would look like this:

If application update check is disabled in CMake then the Visit the <a href="https://download.slicer.org/">download site</a> to check if a new version is available. message would be displayed.

That all seems good to me!

Not sure if just your dev testing, but do we alert of a new application version (5.0.3) for Slicer Preview versions that are actually beyond that version (5.1?). The latest 5.1 preview to 5.0.3 would actually be a downgrade in latest functionality/fixes.

We display “update available” message if there is a stable release with a more recent revision. For example, now the latest stable is 5.0.3 so we don’t display “update available” message in Slicer-5.1.x versions
However, when Slicer-5.2 stable will be released then “update available” message will be shown in Slicer-5.1.x.

1 Like

Using Slicer 5.2.1, I see this checkbox is in the partially checked state. I click it for it to become checked and then close Slicer 5.2.1 and reopen it. I observe that the checkbox is back to being in the partially checked state. It didn’t remember my selection. @lassoan is this a bug?

Also if I click it for it to become checked, open Extensions Manager and click the wrench toolbutton I see that “Automatically check for updates” for extensions is still unchecked (supposed to be this way?). If I check this “Automatically check for updates” menu option, then close Slicer 5.2.1 and reopen, I see the checkbox in the “Updates” section of the Welcome module appropriately is in the checked state.

Thanks for reporting, it was a bug. I’ve pushed a fix:

1 Like