2021.07.20 Weekly Meeting

Tomorrow, we will be having our next weekly hangout at 10:00 AM ET until 11 AM ET.

Anyone is welcome to join to ask questions at https://bit.ly/slicer-googlemeet-hosted-by-kitware

Agenda:

• Slicer 5 / Extension manager
  • Disabling right click menus in custom applications

Feel free to post to this thread to request/suggest a topic!

Thanks
Sam and J-Christophe

I won’t be available to meet tomorrow but would be happy to help with this.

Right-click menus have been available for about 2 years now, so it is not a new thing except that new actions are added recently for the camera+slice widget (we previously only had actions for markups widgets). Right-click menu was designed with custom applications in mind (in fact, developed so that custom applications can define right-click menus cleanly). You can easily add actions and hide any built-in actions by specifying a whitelist.

Instead of considering just disabling the feature I would recommend to embrace it and take advantage of it, as almost all other applications do it. VTK-based applications have been quite bad with this because VTK does not have any built-in support context-menus but with Slicer’s infrastructure in place (and especially with the flexibility of pluggable subject hierarchy plugins and displayable managers) it is quite easy to manage them and they can significantly improve the usability of an application (actions easier to discover than keyboard shortcuts, available without moving the mouse away from the viewer, and the list of actions are context sensitive - showing only the actions relevant at the current position).

Right-click context menu customizations had a recently introduced bug that was recently fixed which I tested. You can review my testing results over at BUG: Fix customization of view context menu by lassoan · Pull Request #5732 · Slicer/Slicer · GitHub.

1 Like