All menus and buttons misplaced in Slicer window (nighlty build version)

Hello,

I am having issues on Windows 10 with the latest nighlty build Slicer. The window of Slicer does not display correctly (see screenshot). The menu bar is missing and the tool bar is displaying in its place. Other menu/buttons below are also misplaced.

Note that if I click on the tools nothing happens but if I click on the void space just below one of them, then the tool is selected (e.g. here with module selector), so it seems to be just a visualization problem.

Until last Friday I was working with the stable release which I installed last November and it has no display issues. Not sure if this is my laptop being weird or a Slicer problem. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Marta

There is an Intel display driver bug that causes this problem for all Qt5-based applications. Need to update the display driver to latest version or change NVidia settings to use the discrete GPU for Slicer (which may be a good idea anyway).

See details in this post:

1 Like

Need to update the display driver to latest version

That worked, thank you!

or change NVidia settings to use the discrete GPU for Slicer (which may be a good idea anyway).

I am afraid I am quite ignorant about GPUs. I just left all settings on “Let the 3D application decide” and never worried to much about what Slicer was using since it didn’t give me problems. What is it exactly that I should select on the NVIDIA control panel to make sure SlicerApp-real is using the discrete GPU?

Applications cannot select if they want to run on the on-board / discrete GPU. If you want an application to use the discrete GPU then you must set it in the NVidia control panel explicitly. You’ll see a huge speed improvement in volume rendering and visible performance improvement in display of very large models.

This is now tracked in issue https://issues.slicer.org/view.php?id=4594