Building the ijk to RAS transform from a nrrd file

Hi Slicers,

I am working on a project with Slicer generated nrrd files and after looking at the nrrd header I notice there is no info about the ijk to RAS matrix yet when I load that nrrd file into Slicer I obtain the matrix. So I think I figured out how to build it in code and I am looking for validation from someone who is more experienced than me. This is what I am doing:

1. I read the nrrd header and obtain the space direction vectors (say a,b,c)

2. I build a 3x3 matrix (A) where the columns correspond to a, b, and c.

3. Given the t translation column vector (as defined in the nrrd space origin header), I can obtain world coordinates x for the index column vector v by:

x = A*v + t

1. since my nrrd volume appears to be in LPS frame (as per the space header), I have to multiply x by the LPS to RAS transform.

Say that’s T = [-1 0 0; 0 -1 0; 0 0 1], so:

x_ras = T * x

Is this correct?

Now, the IJK to RAS direction matrix reported in Slicer (Volumes module) seems to be:

T*A

is this correct?

Thanks!

Almost correct. IJKToRAS is a homogeneous transformation matrix, which contains axis directions in the top-left 3x3 sub-matrix, origin in the first 3 values of 4th column, and [0,0,0,1] in the 4th row (so you don’t “add” the translation component but concatenate). In Matlab syntax:

ijk_to_lps = [[space_directions, space_origin]; [0 0 0 1]]
lps_to_ras = diag([-1 -1 1 1])
ijk_to_ras = lps_to_ras * ijk_to_lps

Ok, the confusion was because in the volumes module the matrix appears as a 3x3 matrix. But it doesn’t matter, anyways the 4x4 form is equivalent as you show since you are operating in homogeneous coordinates.
Thank you Andras.

Hello Slicers

Slicer5.2.2

I’m beginner of 3DSlicer. I am working on a project with Slicer generated nrrd files too. This is what I want to do:

Step1. Forearm segmentation in Slicer and output as nrrd data.

Step2. Calculate the centre of gravity for a particular slice using python and obtain its coordinate ijk

import nrrd
tensor, header = nrrd.read("C:\\Users.....\\Segmentation.seg.nrrd", index_order ='C')
import cv2
def calc_center_gravity(tensor, gk):
    gravity = []
    img = tensor[gk]
    contours, _ = cv2.findContours(img, cv2.RETR_EXTERNAL, cv2.CHAIN_APPROX_SIMPLE)
    for cnt in contours:
        M = cv2.moments(cnt)
        if M["m00"] == 0:
            continue
        gx = int(M["m10"] / M["m00"])
        gy = int(M["m01"] / M["m00"])
        plt.plot(gi, gj, marker='.')
        gravity.append((gi, gj, gk))
    plt.imshow(img, cmap="gray")
    plt.title(f"centre of gravity index\n (i, j, k)=({gi}, {gj}, {gk})")
    plt.show()
    return gravity
gravity = calc_center_gravity(tensor, 24)

スクリーンショット 2023-06-25 145035

space_directions = header["space directions"]
space_origin = header["space origin"]
ijk2lps = np.vstack([np.hstack([space_directions, space_origin.reshape(-1, 1)]), np.array([0, 0, 0, 1])])
lps2ras = np.diag([-1, -1, 1, 1])
ijk2ras = np.dot(lps2ras, ijk2lps)
​
gravity_ijk = np.append(np.array(gravity[0]), 1).reshape(-1, 1)
gravity_ras = np.dot(ijk2ras, gravity_ijk)
gravity_ras

Step3. transform the acquired coordinate ijk to ras and markup it again in Slicer.

Problem
Cannot convert nrrd centre-of-gravity coordinates ijk to slicer coordinates ras between step2 and 3
Could you tell me what is wrong? Thank you!

You should be able to work from this example:
Script repository — 3D Slicer documentation

Thank you. I will have a try.