Can segments be used as input regions in feature calculation?

segmentation

(TingtingYu) #1

Hi,

I loaded DICOM-RT using DICOM module. When I turned to Data Module, the RT structure was shown as a segment. Can this segment used as input region in radiomics calculation? I am a little confused about that. RT-Struct are planar contour, it is not a volume. But when I use it to do the radiomics calculation, I get the same answer as I use the labelmap (I use the segmentation module to export the labelmap from segment) as input region. Many thanks.

Best,
Tingting

(Andras Lasso) #2

Yes. Segmentation nodes dynamically convert between different representations (planar contour, binary labelmap, closed surface, etc.) as needed.

(Andrey Fedorov) #3

There are at least 2 extensions in Slicer that calculate radiomics features.

• If you use the SlicerRadiomics extension, you can use Segmentation segments directly.
  • If you use HeterogeneityCAD extension, I think you will first need to convert segmentation into binary labelmap.

(TingtingYu) #4

Hi Andras,

Got it. Thank you.

Best,
Tingting

(TingtingYu) #5

Hi Andrey,

Thank you for your detailed suggestions. Really appreciated that. I actually have tried both of them. Quick questions, do CT images can also be used in heterogeneityCAD or this module can only use DCE-MRI images?

Best,
Tingting

(Andrey Fedorov) #6

I’ve heard people using heterogeneityCAD for CT, but I have not developed that module, and I have not used it myself. @jayender should be able to give the authoritative answer.

(TingtingYu) #7

Hi Andrey,

Thank you. I will go to his website and then read the related topics to see whether I can dig something.

Best,
Tingting