Converting segmentation to numpy array and back does not conserve layer ordering

I have the following function in my custom built segment editor module, built upon the standard extension script. The problem is that the segments I manually put in gets moved to a different layer when I run this code, and I don’t understand how this can happen.

Here is what it might look like before

And here is where the segmentation shows up after applying it. As you can see the slider is in a completely different layer, and there now no longer any segmentation in the layer it was originally applied in

The full function is given below. But I think the interesting part is this:

labelImage = sitk.GetImageFromArray(labelImage_np)
which is how I get the numpy array back into a format that slicer can interact with, but maybe this is not the correct way to do that?

def onApply(self):
        # Make sure the user wants to do the operation, even if the segment is not visible
        print(self.scriptedEffect.confirmCurrentSegmentVisible())
        if not self.scriptedEffect.confirmCurrentSegmentVisible():
            return
        #
        # Get list of visible segment IDs, as the effect ignores hidden segments.
        segmentationNode = self.scriptedEffect.parameterSetNode().GetSegmentationNode()
        visibleSegmentIds = vtk.vtkStringArray()
        segmentationNode.GetDisplayNode().GetVisibleSegmentIDs(visibleSegmentIds)
        if visibleSegmentIds.GetNumberOfValues() == 0:
            logging.info("Smoothing operation skipped: there are no visible segments")
            return

# This can be a long operation - indicate it to the user
        qt.QApplication.setOverrideCursor(qt.Qt.WaitCursor)

# Allow users revert to this state by clicking Undo
        self.scriptedEffect.saveStateForUndo()

# Export source image data to temporary new volume node.
        # Note: Although the original source volume node is already in the scene, we do not use it here,
        # because the source volume may have been resampled to match segmentation geometry.
        sourceVolumeNode = slicer.vtkMRMLScalarVolumeNode()
        slicer.mrmlScene.AddNode(sourceVolumeNode)
        sourceVolumeNode.SetAndObserveTransformNodeID(segmentationNode.GetTransformNodeID())
        slicer.vtkSlicerSegmentationsModuleLogic.CopyOrientedImageDataToVolumeNode(self.scriptedEffect.sourceVolumeImageData(), sourceVolumeNode)

# Generate merged labelmap of all visible segments, as the filter expects a single labelmap with all the labels.
        mergedLabelmapNode = slicer.vtkMRMLLabelMapVolumeNode()
        slicer.mrmlScene.AddNode(mergedLabelmapNode)
        slicer.vtkSlicerSegmentationsModuleLogic.ExportSegmentsToLabelmapNode(segmentationNode, visibleSegmentIds, mergedLabelmapNode, sourceVolumeNode)

# Run segmentation algorithm

# Read input data from Slicer into SimpleITK
        labelImage = sitk.ReadImage(sitkUtils.GetSlicerITKReadWriteAddress(mergedLabelmapNode.GetName()))
        backgroundImage = sitk.ReadImage(sitkUtils.GetSlicerITKReadWriteAddress(sourceVolumeNode.GetName()))

Image_np = sitk.GetArrayFromImage(backgroundImage)
        labelImage_np = sitk.GetArrayFromImage(labelImage)
        m = labelImage_np != 0
        m2 = np.sum(m,axis=(1,2))
        idx = np.argmax(m2)

labelImage_np[idx] = dummy(Image_np[idx], labelImage_np[idx])
        labelImage = sitk.GetImageFromArray(labelImage_np)

sitk.WriteImage(labelImage, sitkUtils.GetSlicerITKReadWriteAddress(mergedLabelmapNode.GetName()))

slicer.vtkSlicerSegmentationsModuleLogic.ImportLabelmapToSegmentationNode(mergedLabelmapNode, segmentationNode, visibleSegmentIds)

mergedLabelmapNode.GetImageData().Modified()
        mergedLabelmapNode.Modified()

# Update segmentation from labelmap node and remove temporary nodes
        slicer.vtkSlicerSegmentationsModuleLogic.ImportLabelmapToSegmentationNode(mergedLabelmapNode, segmentationNode, visibleSegmentIds)
        slicer.mrmlScene.RemoveNode(sourceVolumeNode)
        slicer.mrmlScene.RemoveNode(mergedLabelmapNode)

qt.QApplication.restoreOverrideCursor()