Diffusion-weighted DICOM Import (DWIConvert) standard error?

Operating system:Windows 10
Slicer version:4.9.0(2018-08-04)
DTI data of the United Imaging 3.0T (China)

Diffusion-weighted DICOM Import (DWIConvert) standard error:

Exception creating converter 
itk::ExceptionObject (0000009A0518B610)
File: D:\D\P\Slicer-0-build\BRAINSTools\DWIConvert\GenericDWIConverter.cxx
Line: 13
Description: itk::ERROR:  LoadFromDisk not relevant

Diffusion-weighted DICOM Import (DWIConvert) standard output:

======= DWI Convert Public Lib Ctest =========

Found CommandLine Module, target is  C:/Program Files/Slicer 4.9.0-2018-08-04/bin/../lib/Slicer-4.9/cli-modules/DWIConvert.exe
ModuleType: CommandLineModule
Diffusion-weighted DICOM Import (DWIConvert) command line: 

C:/Program Files/Slicer 4.9.0-2018-08-04/bin/../lib/Slicer-4.9/cli-modules/DWIConvert.exe --conversionMode DicomToNrrd --outputVolume C:/Users/Cyufu/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/BBDCA_vtkMRMLDiffusionWeightedVolumeNodeB.nrrd --inputDicomDirectory D:/3DSlicer Data/DTI/20180826 XU Kaiyu/epi_dti_20180823 --outputDirectory . --smallGradientThreshold 0.2 --transposeInputBVectors 

Please let me know if you need any more information to debug this issue.
Best,
Caoyufu

The error you posted often means that DWIConvert could not find any DTI-specific information in the DICOM (unfortunately the exception path doesn’t give a helpful error message right now).

The most common cause is that the DICOM files were anonymized and the necessary fields are not present in the header.

However:

I am not familiar with this scanner brand, so don’t know what fields it uses to store DTI information. If they are not using the standard DICOM tags for diffusion information, then a vendor-specific reader may need to be implemented in DWIConvert. I would suggest to contact the vendor to find out.

1 Like

Specifically, DWIConvert needs to know the DICOM tags which store b-value and gradient information. For example, you can find some discussion/notes about the tags of existing supported vendors on this page:

https://na-mic.org/wiki/NAMIC_Wiki:DTI:DICOM_for_DWI_and_DTI

1 Like

@cyufu dcm2niix now has preliminary support for UIH scanner diffusion images, please see:

I don’t think we (me or @hjmjohnson) have the bandwidth to implement this format natively in DWIConvert in the near future, so I would suggest to use dcm2niix, and then import the nifti files using DWIConvert.

1 Like

Good day!
Please help me!
3D-slicer incorrectly reads images from a Toshiba tomograph. I do not understand how to transpose the matrix, I can ask you to write me the steps. I will be very grateful to you.

Do you have the opportunity to see my pictures? I can send them to you by mail (pictures are already anonymized).

Hello. Have you tried the program dcm2niix to convert to nrrd, then read it into Slicer? This should work.

Alternatively we have a new import module under testing now. To try it, download the Nightly Build from slicer.org, then use the Extension Manager to install the Dcm2niix module. It seems to be available for Mac and Linux currently. It is under construction so please let us know if it works for you.

1 Like

Hello, are you aware if DWIConvert is compatible with scans from a Bruker 7T?