Distance between slices

Hi,

I am currently segmenting something from a screenshot. Therefore, it is a 2D image. I am wanting to make it into a 2D surface mesh. I was told since 3D slicer will only export as 3D .stl files, to duplicate the segment and put distance between them. As a beginner, I really have no idea how to do that. Could you help?

What would you like to segment on what kind of images?

I am trying to segment some tissue from a jpeg file.

What is the imaging modality? What would you like to segment? Do you have some constraints (maximum time, required accuracy, available operator expertise, …)?

I am very much a beginner. Can you explain what you’re meaning by imaging modality?

Imaging modality: CT, MRI, ultrasound, microscopy, etc.

CT. But I only have singular slice

What would you like to segment? Do you have some constraints (maximum time, required accuracy, available operator expertise, …)?

Could you attach a screenshot of an image with an example segmentation?

I am segmenting collagen beams. I do not know anything about constraints. I segmented the beams and made a model. I was told to overlay a second segmentation of the same beams 30 micrometers above the first. I was wondering if there was any way to do that with only one image slice.

If you don’t have any constraints - you have the necessary expertise to segment what you need with sufficient accuracy and you can spend as much time with it as needed - then you can use existing segmentation tools in Segment Editor to manually segment the image.

This still doesn’t answer my question, though. My segmentation is done the way I need it to be done.

You can add the same slice to a volume by adding a filename similar to the original one (for example, image001.jpg, image002.jpg) and load it with Single slice option disabled.

For a thicker slice, you don’t need to duplicate slices, but you can set a larger spacing value for the third axis.

If this does not fully answer you question then please draw a sketch or explain it in more detail what you want to achieve. Why do you want to overlay a “second segmentation”? What is the overall goal of your project? How this specific task (“overlaying a second segmentation 30 micrometer above the first”) will help you to achieve that?

I will try the larger spacing value route. How do I do that?

You can set the image spacing values in Volumes module, in the Volume information section.