Head circumference or cranial deformation measures from CT

Hi:
How can I measure the head circumference or cranial deformation measures using CT and 3D Slicer? Automatic or semi-automatic method.

Circumference: Measure the circumference of an object

Cranial deformation can be assessed many ways. What would you like to quantify exactly?

I only know the two methods that appears in the book that I attached…

Do you know any automatic method with 3D Slicer that measures that? I have the CT images and the cranial mesh. Or do you know any method to measure cranial deformation?

You can write a script that automatically identifies points and planes and computes all values. However, developing such a script may take several days (plus learning of some Python, numpy, VTK, Slicer if you are not familiar with these), so it may not pay off if you just need to measure a few hundred cases and otherwise you would not want to spend time with learning and programming.

Probably a good tradeoff is to automatically get points and planes that are easy to compute automatically (e.g., superior and posterior planes) and provide some landmark points manually. Then, from the list of planes and points it should be trivial to compute distances, angles, etc.

@muratmaga are there any general morphometrics tools that could be used here?

I am not aware of any automated tools for this. @ezgimercan was working on similar questions, she might have some suggestions.

I would suggest the closed curve method as in the topic @lassoan shared.

My only suggestion would be to use the CT with the reformat tool to get the axial plane you want to measure the circumference at. Then mark a closed curve on the reformatted axial plane.

Ideally, if you also have the model (mesh) for the CT (you can create it easily with Threshold and Islands tools in Segment Editor), you can get away with marking 3-4 points on the CT and resampling it on the model.

Most of these steps can be automated in Python but I don’t have any scripts for it.