How to perform US MRI/CT registration?

I want to perform registration from US to CT or MRI. The ants, elastix, and brains algorithms can perform registration from 3D to 3D. But if I want to perform registration from 2D US to 3D CT/MRI, is there any way in Slicer? Or can it be achieved through code?

I don’t have a good solution for this registration task.

But I used your question as a test for the AI plugin to discourse. It would be interesting to know if people think the result is helpful.

I think the AI answer is pretty good. I’m not an expert in 2D-3D segmentation, but would have answered something similar if I had considered myself the best person to answer (which I didn’t so passed the opportunity to other, smarter people).

Unfortunately there is no clear solution, or any finished project I’m aware of. Making a 3D volume from the slice is an idea that did crossed my mind, but I don’t think it would work. However, it’s just a hunch, based on my knowledge about the BRAINS and Elastix extensions, so it’s worth a try. What I think that means is making a “thicker” slice, maybe 3 or 5 adjacent slices of that US image, make sure the area out of the fan is masked out, and run the registration in the two modules I mention above.

Maybe this article with help you with some ideas:
Behnami, D., Sedghi, A., Anas, E.M.A. et al. Model-based registration of preprocedure MR and intraprocedure US of the lumbar spine. Int J CARS 12 , 973–982 (2017). Model-based registration of preprocedure MR and intraprocedure US of the lumbar spine | International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery