Is there any way I can change how the scissor tool works in segment editor?

Operating system: Windows 10
Slicer version: 4.11
Expected behavior:
Actual behavior:

I want to use the scissor tools to make dents or cuts on a 3d model. But the scissor tool completely removes everything inside the area drawn or selected. Instead, I want to control the depth of the cut. Is this possible, is there any way I can change that. Or are there any other tools for it?

I think the surface cut is meant to do exactly that. You can get that via SegmentEditorExtraEffects extension.

2 Likes

Yes, using Surface cut effect is a good idea.

If you use Scissors effect then you can control the depth of the cut in slice views. In 3D views, you can use masking to restrict cutting to a specific region; or use two cuts as demonstrated in the craniotomy segmentation recipe.

You can also change the Scissors effect to make it work exactly as you need. The source code is available here, build instructions are here. If you make any improvements or customizations that you think could be useful for others then please send a pull request with the proposed changes.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try that out. Are there any tutorial videos for that?

There are lots of tutorials, you can start from here Image Segmentation — 3D Slicer documentation, but you can also just search on google and youtube. If you have any specific question then you can ask here.

1 Like