Islands segmentation via python script

Hi everyone.
I am trying to create and island segmentation directly via python script bypassing the 3dslicer gui.
In the GUI i do these operations:

• load two diffents files, a label map and a master volume
  • import the label map on the the master volume
  • create a new segmenation and edit chosing remover islands to delete islands smaller that a voxel value size

Everyone know if is it possible?

Thanks in advantage

Hi Valentina,

All this should be doable with a python script.
I would involve the Segment Editor like this (untested):

# Initialization 
segmentEditorWidget = slicer.qMRMLSegmentEditorWidget()
segmentEditorWidget.setMRMLScene(slicer.mrmlScene)
segmentEditorNode = slicer.mrmlScene.AddNewNodeByClass("vtkMRMLSegmentEditorNode")
segmentEditorWidget.setMRMLSegmentEditorNode(segmentEditorNode)
segmentEditorWidget.setSegmentationNode(yourOutputSegmentation)
segmentEditorWidget.setMasterVolumeNode(yourVolume)

# Systematically remove small islands
segmentEditorNode.SetSelectedSegmentID("YourSegmentID")
segmentEditorWidget.setActiveEffectByName("Islands")
effect = segmentEditorWidget.activeEffect()
effect.setParameter("MinimumSize","1000")
effect.setParameter("Operation","KEEP_LARGEST_ISLAND")
segmentEditorNode.SetOverwriteMode(slicer.vtkMRMLSegmentEditorNode.OverwriteNone) 
segmentEditorNode.SetMaskMode(slicer.vtkMRMLSegmentEditorNode.PaintAllowedEverywhere)  
effect.self().onApply()

# Deactivates all effects
segmentEditorWidget.setActiveEffect(None)
segmentEditorWidget = None
slicer.mrmlScene.RemoveNode(segmentEditorNode)
1 Like

thank you Rudolf! is similar to the one I’ve done! I will test your!
Since you are so kind, I ask you some suggestion! for the next step I would extract features for this new segmentation generated putting it as input region and then do a quantification of the segment statistics. do you have some good idea?
thank you in advantage

Actually, yes. You need to call the SegmentStatisticsLogic() in your script which is quite easy (untested):

resultsTable = slicer.mrmlScene.AddNewNodeByClass('vtkMRMLTableNode', 'Your analysis results')

# Compute stats
import SegmentStatistics

segStatLogic = SegmentStatistics.SegmentStatisticsLogic()
segStatLogic.getParameterNode().SetParameter("Segmentation", yourOutputSegmentation.GetID())
segStatLogic.getParameterNode().SetParameter("ScalarVolume", yourInputVolume.GetID())
segStatLogic.getParameterNode().SetParameter("LabelmapSegmentStatisticsPlugin.enabled", "True" if self.generateStatistics else "False")
segStatLogic.getParameterNode().SetParameter("ScalarVolumeSegmentStatisticsPlugin.voxel_count.enabled", "False")
segStatLogic.getParameterNode().SetParameter("ScalarVolumeSegmentStatisticsPlugin.volume_mm3.enabled", "False")
segStatLogic.computeStatistics()
segStatLogic.exportToTable(self.resultsTable)
self.outputStats = segStatLogic.getStatistics()
segStatLogic.getParameterNode().SetParameter("LabelmapSegmentStatisticsPlugin.enabled", "True")

I’ll try soon! about bin width? could you tell me how to select it before the extraction?

It is not good to populate this thread with add-on questions because other users will not find the new follow-up topic. I suggest you try your way and maybe ask a new question in support.

1 Like

Ok Rudolf that you so much! your help has been preciuos!

1 Like