MarkupsLine not showing length measurement?

In previous versions of Slicer, the length measurement was shown on the 3D view, but for some reason it doesn’t seem to be working for me now. I have a MarkupsLine node with two control points, but the length measurement is not being calculated

Any suggestions? Or is there a different way I need to trigger this? Obviously it’s trivial to do the calculation myself, but previously this “just worked” in Slicer, so this seems like a bug.

I’m using Slicer 5.2.1. I just verified that opening a new Slicer instance and a single volume and adding a single MarkupsLine still shows this behavior (meaning it’s probably not caused by something weird I did in my current Slicer session). I also copied and pasted this section from https://github.com/Slicer/Slicer/blob/a5f75351073ef62fd6198d9480d86c0009d70f9b/Modules/Loadable/Markups/Testing/Python/MarkupsMeasurementsTest.py

markupsNode = slicer.mrmlScene.AddNewNodeByClass(‘vtkMRMLMarkupsLineNode’)
length = 34.12
direction = np.array([0.3, -0.4, 0.8])
pos1 = np.array([20, -12.4, 3.8])
pos2 = pos1 + direction / np.linalg.norm(direction) * length
markupsNode.AddControlPoint(vtk.vtkVector3d(pos1))
markupsNode.AddControlPoint(vtk.vtkVector3d(pos2))

measurement = markupsNode.GetMeasurement(“length”)
if abs(measurement.GetValue() - length) > 1e-4:
raise Exception("Unexpected length value: " + str(measurement.GetValue()))

This gives the error “Unexpected length value: 0.0”, so I think that means that this test should not have passed, and also it is not just my code or behavior which is leading to this.

I have tried to replicate on my Windows machine, but I am observing that Slicer 5.2.1 is working appropriately by showing the line measurement. I also do not have any extensions installed. If you uninstall any extensions and re-install Slicer 5.2.1 fresh, do you have the same issues?

I have also tried programmatically, but I’m still seeing correct behavior

import SampleData
SampleData.SampleDataLogic().downloadMRHead()

markupsNode = slicer.mrmlScene.AddNewNodeByClass('vtkMRMLMarkupsLineNode')
markupsNode.AddControlPoint(0,0,0)
markupsNode.AddControlPoint(10,10,10)

1 Like

Thanks for checking. I will try without extensions when I get a chance.