Misalignment between Freesurfer brain segmentation and original T1 images

Slicer version: 5.6.1

Hello,

I am having problems when exporting a brain segmentation as a .seg.nrrd file, previously imported into 3D Slicer from Freesurfer. When I import the segmentation and the original MRI images into 3D slicer using FreeSurfer Importer, the alignment between both looks correct. However, when I try to export the segmentation as a .seg.nrrd file, the dimensions of the file (256,256,256) do not match those of the original MRI (192,240,256). I think this 256^3 cube is the default output format in Freesurfer, but I was wondering if it was possible to export the aligned segmentation directly from 3D slicer, as Slicer seems to align it perfectly. I read in another post that it is possible to do so by selecting the original images as the reference volume, but the exported .seg.nrrd file still contains a matrix with 256^3 shape. I would be super grateful for any pointers.

Best,

Pablo

3D Slicer uses the same geometry (origin, spacing, axis directions, extents) for segmentation as the source volume. Therefore, if your input volume was 256 x 256 x 256 size then the segmentation will use that size by default. If for some reason the geometry does not match (e.g., becasue you selected a different image first, you chose the option to crop to minimum necessary size on save, you created a segmentation in an older Slicer version where we cropped to minimum necessary size by default, etc.) then you can very easily change it using Specify geometry feature.

Dear Andras,

Thank you so much for your answer, this is exactly what I needed. I hope this information will be useful to others as well.

Best,

Pablo

1 Like