Osteotomy Planner v2.0

@pieper,

I currently support the CMF team at Orlando Health (Orlando, FL). We are hoping to bring planning and 3D printing in-house, which we are already in the process of doing.

CMF surgeons wanted to explore planning and printing solutions for Craniosynostosis cases. Specifically two procedures so far: Cranial Vault Remodeling (CVR) and Fronto-Orbital Advancement (FOA). There are more, but these are the ones I have worked on.

Hi @Fluvio_Lobo can you give a little background on your goals?

My main goal is to establish a workflow for planning and 3D printing of anatomical replicas resulting from said planning. For instance, a printed model of the Orbital Bandeau that was modeled through the planning.

Here is a picture of what that looks like;

A secondary goal is to estimate the post surgical appearance of the patient’s skin after the advancement. This is the reason why I am playing around with warping transforms and will soon have to use FEA. I still want to explore a non-realistic warping method as “guesstimation” :rofl:

I am working on a few tricks based on your feedback and other feedback I got here. I have not had a chance to test/update this post, but will do before then end of the week

Will you be doing this frequently?

Depends on your definition of frequently.

The latest estimate is 8-12 craniosynostosis cases per year (2-3 for FOA). The CMF crew has another FOA and two CVRs this summer. I think 8-12 and 2-3 are underestimates.

These procedures do not have the volume of say Orthognathic surgery and this is the reason why it is so underserved by commercial applications.

1 Like