Problems with BRAINSfit and Elastix

Hi!

I’m using the latest nightly build of Slicer on Linux, and I’m trying to learn how to do registration of one temporal bone CT onto another. When I try to use “General Registration (BRAINSfit)”, I’m getting “Status: Completed with errors” and the following message after choosing fixed/moving images as well as “Output image volume” in the Output settings, and then clicking on apply:

"General Registration (BRAINS) standard error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'itk::ImageFileReaderException'
  what():  /work/Preview/Slicer-0-build/ITKv4/Modules/IO/ImageBase/include/itkImageFileReader.hxx:143:
 Could not create IO object for reading file /tmp/Slicer-torquil/CEAHH_vtkMRMLScalarVolumeNodeB.nrrd
  Tried to create one of the following:
    BMPImageIO
    BioRadImageIO
    DCMTKImageIO
    GDCMImageIO
    GiplImageIO
    JPEGImageIO
    LSMImageIO
    MGHImageIO
    MINCImageIO
    MRCImageIO
    MetaImageIO
    NiftiImageIO
    NrrdImageIO
    PNGImageIO
    StimulateImageIO
    TIFFImageIO
    VTKImageIO
    GE4ImageIO
    GE5ImageIO
    HDF5ImageIO
  You probably failed to set a file suffix, or
    set the suffix to an unsupported type."

As an alternative, I have installed the SlicerElastix module, but when I use that I get an empty error message:

"Error:"

It does not matter if I choose different Preset values.

In the log files ~/.xsession-errors I’m seeing the following at each click on Apply:

"Volume registration is started in working directory: /tmp/Slicer-torquil/Elastix/20181016_144358_133
Generic Warning: In /work/Preview/Slicer-0/Libs/MRML/Core/vtkDataFileFormatHelper.cxx, line 237
vtkDataFileFormatHelper::GetFileExtensionFromFormatString: please update deprecated extension-only format specifier to 'File format name (.ext)' format! Current format string: .mha

MetaImage: M_WriteElementsData: file stream is fail after write
Generic Warning: In /work/Preview/Slicer-0/Libs/MRML/Core/vtkDataFileFormatHelper.cxx, line 237
vtkDataFileFormatHelper::GetFileExtensionFromFormatString: please update deprecated extension-only format specifier to 'File format name (.ext)' format! Current format string: .mha

MetaImage: M_WriteElementsData: file stream is fail after write
Register volumes...
Register volumes using: /home/torquil/.config/NA-MIC/Extensions-27483/SlicerElastix/lib/Slicer-4.9/elastix: ['-f', u'/tmp/Slicer-torquil/Elastix/20181016_144358_133/input/fixed.mha', '-m', u'/tmp/Slicer-torquil/Elastix/20181016_144358_133/input/moving.mha', '-out', u'/tmp/Slicer-torquil/Elastix/20181016_144358_133/result-transform', '-p', '/home/torquil/.config/NA-MIC/Extensions-27483/SlicerElastix/lib/Slicer-4.9/qt-scripted-modules/Resources/RegistrationParameters/Parameters.Par0009.affine.txt', '-p', '/home/torquil/.config/NA-MIC/Extensions-27483/SlicerElastix/lib/Slicer-4.9/qt-scripted-modules/Resources/RegistrationParameters/Parameters.Par0009.elastic.txt']

elastix is started at Tue Oct 16 14:43:58 2018.

which elastix:   /home/torquil/.config/NA-MIC/Extensions-27483/SlicerElastix/lib/Slicer-4.9/elastix
elastix runs at: lenovo-p51
  Linux 4.18.0-2-amd64 (x64), #1 SMP Debian 4.18.10-2 (2018-10-07)
  with 15830 MB memory, and 4 cores @ 3835 MHz.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running elastix with parameter file 0: "/home/torquil/.config/NA-MIC/Extensions-27483/SlicerElastix/lib/Slicer-4.9/qt-scripted-modules/Resources/RegistrationParameters/Parameters.Par0009.affine.txt".

Current time: Tue Oct 16 14:43:58 2018.
Reading the elastix parameters from file ...

ERROR: could not read fixed image.

itk::ImageFileReaderException (0x361de80)
File: /work/Preview/Slicer-0-build/ITKv4/Modules/IO/ImageBase/include/itkImageFileReader.hxx
Line: 143
Description:  Could not create IO object for reading file /tmp/Slicer-torquil/Elastix/20181016_144358_133/input/fixed.mha
  Tried to create one of the following:
    BMPImageIO
    BioRadImageIO
    Bruker2dseqImageIO
    DCMTKImageIO
    GDCMImageIO
    GE4ImageIO
    GE5ImageIO
    GiplImageIO
    HDF5ImageIO
    JPEGImageIO
    LSMImageIO
    MGHImageIO
    MINCImageIO
    MRCImageIO
    MetaImageIO
    NiftiImageIO
    NrrdImageIO
    PNGImageIO
    StimulateImageIO
    TIFFImageIO
    VTKImageIO
    MRMLIDImageIO
  You probably failed to set a file suffix, or
    set the suffix to an unsupported type.

Errors occurred!
vtkDebugLeaks has found no leaks.

Command 'elastix' returned non-zero exit status 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/torquil/.config/NA-MIC/Extensions-27483/SlicerElastix/lib/Slicer-4.9/qt-scripted-modules/Elastix.py", line 327, in onApplyButton
    movingVolumeMaskNode = self.movingVolumeMaskSelector.currentNode())
  File "/home/torquil/.config/NA-MIC/Extensions-27483/SlicerElastix/lib/Slicer-4.9/qt-scripted-modules/Elastix.py", line 579, in registerVolumes
    self.logProcessOutput(ep)
  File "/home/torquil/.config/NA-MIC/Extensions-27483/SlicerElastix/lib/Slicer-4.9/qt-scripted-modules/Elastix.py", line 519, in logProcessOutput
    raise subprocess.CalledProcessError(return_code, "elastix")
CalledProcessError: Command 'elastix' returned non-zero exit status 1"

I’m using the following version of elastix

$ elastix --version
elastix version: 4.800

Maybe you don’t have access to temporary folder. Try to change your temporary folder in application settings / modules / temporary directory.

There has been an error in latest nightly package that might have caused various issues. Please try again with the nightly version tomorrow.