Seeking Help: "Could not load as a Scalar Volume" Error Opening DICOM X-ray Files (Bone, ML, and AP Views) with 3D Slicer

Hello everyone,

I’ve encountered an issue while using 3D Slicer and I’m hoping to get some assistance. Whenever I attempt to open a DICOM X-ray file, specifically one capturing bone images in both ML (Mediolateral) and AP (Anteroposterior) views, I consistently encounter an error message saying “Could not load as a Scalar Volume.” I’ve verified that the DICOM file is valid, and it opens correctly in Photoshop.

I’ve tried various troubleshooting steps, including checking for the completeness of the DICOM file and ensuring it adheres to the DICOM format. However, none of these solutions have worked so far. I’m using the latest version of 3D Slicer.

Has anyone else faced a similar issue with X-ray DICOM files, especially those capturing bone images in ML and AP views? Are there any alternative solutions or suggestions for successfully opening these DICOM X-ray files in 3D Slicer?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

Be sure to check the error log and python console for any messages. If all else fails post a de-identified file that other could use to replicate the issue.

Thank you for your help! I’ll try these methods. Appreciate your patience and support!