Segmentation of Alveolar cleft

I am trying to find a predictable way to measure the volume of an alveolar bone cleft in cleft lip and palate children with CBCT.

Several papers describe that they have done it but it is very vague. The main problem is to define the anterior and posterior limits of the alveolar bone.

So far the best result I got was with the fill between slice option. Looking for a better and predictable way of segmenting this area to measure the volume which is not very nice in the anterior margin. (Superior and Inferior is not a problem as it can be defined with landmarks.

What would be the best way to do this?

Thank you

The images are very helpful but it is still not very clear what the main challenge is. Could you join the segmentation breakout session tomorrow at 2pm EST and bring this as a case to look at?

1 Like

Btw, the Project Week Segmentation breakout session is at 11am EST tomorrow (not 2pm)

We agreed on Monday to move the segmentation session to the afternoon because we wanted to have a segmentation storage format discussion and we could not find any other timeslot that worked for everyone. I updated the time in the breakout list, but not in the calendar. This afternoon I fixed this, they are now in sync.

I will try to add better photos.
I can come.today and bring this data for the breakout session. Thanks you

Dear Prof @lassoan

Idea is to calculate the volume of the bony cleft in cleft lip and palte children.

The area we want to segment is like a pyramid.

Defining the superior and inferior margins and the lateral and medial margins are no problem.

The problem is with the anterior and posterior walls. 2

People have tried different methods.

1, Marked the area in each slice and has multiplied that by spacing
Screenshot from 2020-12-17 10-25-45

But my idea is to replicate the method described here with the 3D Slicer in a much simpler way

https://www.oooojournal.net/article/S2212-4403(17)30181-5/fulltext

Hello
Have you found a predictable way to measure the volume of an alveolar bone cleft in cleft lip and palate children with CBCT ?

You can use the “Markups to model” module (provided by MarkupsToModel extension) to define the pyramid model by dropping a couple of markup points. You can get the volume of the model in Models module / Information section.

You can improve the accuracy by importing the model into a segmentation and refine the shape in the Segment Editor module.

Dear Prof @lassoan

This workflow is tremendously helpful.
Thank you a lot!

All the best