Segmenting a bottle in a CT scan is slow

Hello,
I would like to segment a bottle geometry from the DICOM file and save it as a vtk file. I started with “Segment Editor” and “Crop Volume” but the 3D slicer works super slow. Can you please help me to find the best way/modules for this purpose?
Many thanks

(download link removed on request of the original poster)

The image size is 512 x 512 x 692, so it is not very large. If you have something like 4GB free RAM then all operations should be quite fast. On my 3-year-old computer (8th-gen Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM) segmentation takes a couple of seconds in Segment Editor module.

Please provide detailed description of the steps you perform (include every click you make) and how long they take.

Hi Lassoan,
Thank you for your prompt respond.
I’ve tried to clean up my system and I believe it works faster now (3D Slicer 5.0.3). However, I like to describe the steps I did:

• Volumes: click on “Center Volume”/magnifying all views
  • Volume Rendering: changing the ROI/ click on “Display ROI”
  • Crop Volume: click on “Apply”
  • Segment Editor: “Add”/ on segment_1 I tring to segment the object using “Paint”/“Level Tracing”
  • click on “Show 3D”
  • since I made mistaks and the bottle should be hollow, here I clicked on “Fill Between Slices” first that took time to act.
  • Then I clicked on “Erase” but didn’t work.
  • I tried to use undo but nothings can change anymore.

Thanks in adnavce!

Comments on the performed steps:

• Volumes: click on “Center Volume”/magnifying all views → OK
  • Volume Rendering: changing the ROI/ click on “Display ROI” → do not use volume rendering, because it will occlude your segmentation; if you want to show volume rendering to get an idea of what is in the image, make sure you hide the volume rendering before you proceed with the next steps
  • Crop Volume: click on “Apply” → no need for cropping the volume; it is small enough that you should not run out ot memory if you have at least 8GB RAM in your computer
  • Segment Editor: “Add”/ on segment_1 I tring to segment the object using “Paint”/“Level Tracing” → it is easier to use Threshold effect to segment the bottle in 3D in a few seconds
  • click on “Show 3D” → OK
  • since I made mistaks and the bottle should be hollow, here I clicked on “Fill Between Slices” first that took time to act. → no need to use “Fill between slices” (Threshold effect is sufficient)
  • Then I clicked on “Erase” but didn’t work. → no need to use Erase
  • I tried to use undo but nothings can change anymore. → no need for Undo
1 Like

sounds perfect… the bottle has been segmented in a few seconds as you said byThreshold effect.
I appreciate your support.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Segmenting 3D printed heartseg