Tracking cursor movements to access voxel values

Hey everyone,
I was trying to write a quick Pyton script to track the mouse movement with ‘Crosshair’ and return the voxel value using the ijk position. I ran the script within Slicer’s Python Interactor and launched Slicer from Command Line in order to be able to see error messages. This is the Script I wrote:

def onMouseMoved(observer,eventid):
	crosshair=slicer.mrmlScene.GetFirstNodeByClass("vtkMRMLCrosshairNode")
	crosshair.SetCrosshairBehavior(crosshair.CenteredJumpSlice)
	ras = [0.0, 0.0, 0.0]
	crosshairNode.GetCursorPositionRAS(ras)
	#slicer.vtkMRMLSliceNode.JumpAllSlices(slicer.mrmlScene, *ras, slicer.vtkMRMLSliceNode.CenteredJumpSlice)
	#print(ras)
	transform_ras_to_volume_ras = vtk.vtkGeneralTransform("Crosshair")
	voxel_value_array = slicer.util.arrayFromVolume(transform_ras_to_volume_ras)
	voxel_value = voxel_value_array[ras[2], ras[1],ras[0]]
	ras_to_voxel = vtk.vtkMatrix4x4()
	crosshairNode.GetRASToIJKNatrix(ras_to_voxel)
	voxel_point = [0,0,0,1]
	ras_to_voxel.MultiplyPoint(np.append(voxel_value,1.0),voxel_point)
	voxel_point = [ int(round(c) for c in voxel_point[0:3])	 ]
	print(voxel_point)

crosshairNode = slicer.util.getNode("Crosshair")
id = crosshairNode.AddObserver(slicer.vtkMRMLCrosshairNode.CursorPositionModifiedEvent, onMouseMoved)

The Script did not break upon printing ras and returned coordinate values upon pressing SHIFT.
But when I added the rest of the code to transform ras coordinates to ijk, Slicer started breaking without any errors which before where shown in command line.

Now I hope someone is able to clarify how I am breaking Slicer or whether the approach to the transformation is wrong within itself.

Also it would be helpful to see error outputs on the command line where I invoked Slicer

This is the line that is causing the crash. There is no constructor for vtkGeneralTransform that takes a string. I believe the crash is caused because the constructor is trying to interpret it as a hexadecimal memory address.

There are a couple of other issues with your script:

• The input to slicer.util.arrayFromVolume should be the volume node that you are inspecting, not a vtkGeneralTransform
  • GetRASToIJKNatrix → GetRASToIJKMatrix
  • voxel_value_array cannot be accessed using RAS, you should use the IJK coordinates. See Script repository — 3D Slicer documentation
2 Likes

Hey thankyou very much for you reply!! indeed I see my fallacies there. I am sorry that I haven’t got back to you earlier, but I am only able to access this PC twice a week. May I ask you if there is an alternate way to go from RAS to Volume RAS using Cosshair since right now I have tried this slicer.vtkMRMLTransformNode.GetTransformBetweenNodes(None, crosshairNode, transform_ras_to_volume_ras) but my issue is that the transform function cannot be applied to a CrossairNode.

The crosshair node is already in “World” coordinates. If the volume node is not under a transform, then World coordinates == Volume RAS coordinates.

You can get a transform from WorldToVolumeRAS with:

worldToVolumeRAS = vtk.vtkGeneralTransform()
slicer.vtkMRMLTransformNode.GetTransformBetweenNodes(None, volume.GetParentTransformNode(), worldToVolumeRAS)

If I get you right my next steps should be Volume Ras → IJK by Matrix tranformation and then accessing voxel Value from IJK.

My Matrix generation has thrown errors Volume_RAS_toIJK = vtk.vtkMatrix4x4() ijk_node = Volume_RAS_toIJK.GetRASToIJKMatrix(Volume_RAS_toIJK) gets me this error: ‘vtkmodules.vtkCommonMath.vtkMatrix4x4’ object has no attribute ‘GetRASToIJKMatrix’.

Yeah, you’re on the right track.

It should be volumeNode.GetRASToIJKMatrix(Volume_RAS_toIJK). Where volumeNode is the vtkMRMLVolumeNode that you are trying to inspect.

HI Kyle, thank you for helping us on this (I work with Leo).

I’m posting in case other people can benefit from our attempt - I believe we managed to get it working by simply moving the computationally-expensive calls outside the mouse movement loop. The console is now printing reasonable values for voxels at coordinates:

This is our current code:

import numpy as np

ras = [0, 0, 0]
volumeNode = slicer.util.getNode("MRHead")
# Apply that transform to get volume's RAS coordinates
transform_ras_to_volume_ras = vtk.vtkGeneralTransform()
slicer.vtkMRMLTransformNode.GetTransformBetweenNodes(None, volumeNode.GetParentTransformNode(), transform_ras_to_volume_ras)
# Get volume as slicer array
a = arrayFromVolume(volumeNode)

def onMouseMoved(observer,eventid):
    # Get point coordinate in RAS
    ras = [0, 0, 0]
    crosshairNode.GetCursorPositionRAS(ras)
    point_volume_ras = transform_ras_to_volume_ras.TransformPoint(ras[0:3])
    # Get voxel coordinates from physical coordinates
    volume_ras_to_ijk = vtk.vtkMatrix4x4()
    volumeNode.GetRASToIJKMatrix(volume_ras_to_ijk)
    point_ijk = [0, 0, 0, 1]
    volume_ras_to_ijk.MultiplyPoint(np.append(point_volume_ras, 1.0), point_ijk)
    point_ijk = [ int(round(c)) for c in point_ijk[0:3] ]
    # Get markup's position
    x, y, z = point_ijk[0], point_ijk[1], point_ijk[2]
    value = a[z,y,x]
    print(value)

crosshairNode=slicer.util.getNode("Crosshair")
observerId = crosshairNode.AddObserver(slicer.vtkMRMLCrosshairNode.CursorPositionModifiedEvent, onMouseMoved)
2 Likes

If you need to do relatively expensive computations to display information about the current mouse position then a good technique is “delayed update”: you don’t compute while the mouse is moving but immediately when it stops. Implementation: Instead of calling the computation directly from the mouse event callback, you only trigger a QTimer with a short timeout (e.g., 100ms). If a new mouse event arrives then you restart the timer. When mouse movement stops then the timer elapses, which triggers the computation.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this tip. I will eventually need to optimize this tracking loop, so it’s good to know about this pattern.