Update of Slicer issue tracker

Hi Everyone,

Now that @freephile migrated the issue tracker to its new home:

(still available from http://na-mic.org/Bug and http://www.na-mic.org/Bug to ensure existing links work)

We are planning to upgrade the version of the tracker:

• You can get a feel for the interface here: My View - MantisBT

• You will find below a preview of the Slicer interface below.

• It will be a different user interface but we think that the new UI will improve the overall experience.

• The update also includes a lot of security fixes that are long overdue. See Change Log - MantisBT

Note In the future, we may also transition to using solely the GitHub issue tracker and project features but that will be discussed later.

2 Likes

Thanks for this work. :100: to moving to GitHub (or GitLab). It may be worth considering whether any more effort should be put in Mantis at all – except possibly to migrate content to GitHub (there are some scripts available which could be modified). Leaving the tracker frozen like the old Kitware trackers would also be fine. There is relatively minimal recent activity on the current tracker because of the reliability and email issues, lack of OAuth, etc., though the history is useful to keep.

Fully agree with moving issue tracking to GitHub.

GitHub’s issue tracker is still very basic, but it should be good enough to manage Slicer issues. When source code hosting will transition to GitHub then we’ll have to use GitHub’s issue tracker anyway (for managing pull requests, etc), so it would be simpler if we don’t need to manage two trackers. It’ll be also great to have integration with source code repository and not requiring separate account.

I think the simplest would be to prevent adding new issues to Mantis, but we should be able to update/close issues. When we closed or migrated all issues, we can make the repository read-only.

3 Likes

All for moving to GitHub for issue tracking!

Would be nice, but should not be a stopper, to time this with migration of the source code to git.

To follow up, the Slicer issue tracker has been updated.

https://issues.slicer.org

Make sure to CTRL-F5 next time you visit the site.

1 Like

While experimenting with the source integration plugin on Mantis, I re-triggered the import of the “correct” repository (Slicer/Slicer instead of jcfr/Slicer) and this took down the instance.

Waiting my mistake is addressed , the tracker is unavailable.

Cc: @freephile

Actually, the tracker is available. The source integration plugin has a nasty feature whereby it blocks (queues) all requests by the same client behind the long-running “import” – making it appear that the server is hung. Meanwhile, any other client can access the tracker and the load is miniscule.

@jcfr kill the import and/or use incognito mode and/or another browser. I can assure you that the server is fine.

1 Like

Bumping this thread since there’s already been some good conversation on this topic.

I have found it pretty difficult to use the search within the Mantis Tracker to find relevant results. It’s hard to quickly find if there is already an issue for a bug that I observe.

ITK recently moved from their issue tracker (JIRA) to GitHub issues. See this post on their forum. Here is another post they had about using GitHub labels. For the most part I think Github Issues, Labels, and Milestones could replace a lot of primary functionality in the issue tracker. There isn’t default assigning of issues, but maybe some github apps could supplement any missing features.

2 Likes

Also Github has issue templates which could encourage detailed steps to reproduce, platform, expected behavior, etc. which would be similar to the header fields on the Mantis Tracker. ITK is also using github issue templates to encourage users to provide details about bugs/features/etc. See ITK Issue Template.

1 Like

Since mantis stores issues in a structured way (not just somewhat encouraging structure by offering a template), I find it much more efficient to locate issues in Mantis compared to GitHub.

However, I agree that probably GitHub’s issue tracker would be sufficient for Slicer, and definitely more accessible to users and developers, because most people are already familiar with GitHub, they don’t need to register yet another account, and the issue tracker integrates well with other GitHub features.

I think we should just first release Slicer-4.10.1, then move Slicer’s official repository to GitHub (still SVN is the official repository) and then switch to GitHub’s issue tracker.

@jcfr

1 Like

Any ETA on enabling issues in github? Even if not official yet, would be nice to report bugs/issues there.

1 Like

It would be nice to switch to github repository and issue tracker at the same time, to be able to leverage all the benefits of integration between github tools. However, there is no strict dependency, so we could start using github’s issue tracker for new issues any time.

@jcfr what is the planned date for switching to git?

1 Like

This is the next major Slicer task on my list, we should expect the transition to happen in the next few weeks.

3 Likes

@phcerdan would this timeline work for you? Can you submit issues to issues.slicer.org?

Yesterday, I tried to register to the bug tracking system without success, I didn’t get back an email that probably should have contained my password. Following the advice of @lassoan, I will post some issues I encountered in this thread.

Bug report
Summary: Rulers that should be hidden are always visible after loading a scene
Environment: 3DSlicer 4.10.2, Windows 10

Steps to reproduce:

• open slicer (standard layout)
  • create a ruler somewhere
  • hide it by clicking on the eye of the ruler in the Annotations module UI
  • save the scene as mrb
  • close scene (via file menu)
  • load the mrb
    ruler is now visible in slice viewers, however the eye in the Annotations module UI is closed
1 Like

Bug report
Summary: Missing repeated question for saving scene when ending slicer

Steps to reproduce:

• create a ruler somewhere (or make any other edit)
  • click File --> Exit
  • the confirmation dialog appears --> click ‘Cancel exit’
  • click File --> Exit
    program ends without any further question to save the scene

This code causes the immediate exit:

(And another one in this post as I cannot post more than three consecutive posts):

Bug report
Summary: Broken marker placement cursor in non-standard layouts

Steps to reproduce:

• switch to another layout (e.g. Compare --> 2 viewers)
  • click on the tool button to create a fiducial
  • move cursor over the slice views
    the cursor does not change to the markup insertion cursor

this is caused by this code:

–> lines 544 and 561 should say continue;

1 Like

Hi -

I checked and your account exists on issues.slicer.org under the email you used. I had it send a password reset link so let’s see if that works.

Anyway thanks for the reports. :+1: One question: have you tried the nightly builds? The markups have gotten a lot of improvements.

I tried the issue with the ruler not being visible after loading a scene also with the nighlty build from 2019-08-29. It was the same there. Regarding the other two issues, the cited source code is unchanged to version 4.10.2 and I debugged those issues, so I assume they are still relevant.

So far no email received.
Please remove my email address from your previous post - thanks!

Sorry about that!

Not sure what’s up with that - I got the email that said your account was created. (I guess you checked your spam folder :wink:).

Anyway looks like you’ve found some good fixes. The best way forward might be to put them in the form of a github pull request so people can easily test and comment.

Regarding the rulers they have always been a bit finicky and that’s why people have been moving functionality over to markups.