Viewing an FA image

Operating system: Mac OSX 10.9.5
Slicer version: 4.7.0
Expected behavior:
Actual behavior:

I have a greyscale Fractional Anisotropy (FA) image, and I want to view it in RGB colour scheme, with white matter tract orientations too, if possible. I tried using the Volumes module, but the preset colour schemes only make the greyscale image look garish when colourful. I would like to view it the way the sample DTI downloaded from the 3D Slicer forum looks like, with a black background, and a 3D vector visualisation in RGB. Which module should I be using for this?

(I was able to load this FA image in another software and view it in 3d vector RGB visualisation, but I would really like to use Slicer over the other software).

How does the other software (which one?) provide a directionally-coded visualization? There’s no directional information available in a grayscale FA, it’s a single scalar value per voxel.

1 Like

I am using FSL, and within that, FSLeyes to view the FA image. The image I
have is actually called an FAV1 image, but when I checked online, I could
not find a similar format listed anywhere.

Rewati Kulkarni

Research Assistant, Injury Biomechanics Lab.

University of Pennsylvania,
Department of Bioengineering
+1 267-648-7960 | rewati.p.k01@gmail.com rewati.p.k01@gmail.com

To explain better, I have attached the file I opened, and an image of what
it looks like in FSL, when used with the 3D RGB vector visualisation
option. I hope that makes what I am trying to say, clearer.

Rewati Kulkarni

Thanks - I don’t think attachment mail-in is supported (or the file may be too big). Please upload to something like dropbox/google drive/etc. and share the link.

However, based on this document it sounds like they are storing components. I’m not sure if we have a way to visualize such an image in color right now.

Might be possible to glyph it using: http://apidocs.slicer.org/master/classvtkMRMLVectorVolumeDisplayNode.html

Please note – if you share data, it must be anonymized (no identifiable information in the image, metadata, or even filename).

I’ve attached the google drive link to the files I tried to send earlier:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9ZRwZrndb2DYXl0LVpZcHdzYmc?usp=sharing

Rewati Kulkarni

Hello Isaiah, did you have a chance to go over the files I sent you?

Rewati Kulkarni

I took a look at the file, but I’m still unsure about the conventions it uses (what is the order of the image components, etc.). As of now we don’t have a way to display such a file.