Volume rendering colorized with segmentation

Hurrah.

@rbumm, this image looks has very nice and smooth surface. Was it the result of enabling gradient opacity mapping? Were you able to get similarly smooth surfaces without making the segments semi-transparent?

@lassoan Sorry for not providing that information.
I used the dataset you linked, Median smoothed all segments (3.0 mm) and reduced the overall segment opacity to 0.4. Then combined it with a Muscle CT volume rendering.

Oh, I see. In this topic we investigate the possibility of displaying the segmentation in 3D using volume rendering to preserve subtle details in the original image (that cannot be captured in a binary segmentation), make occlusion more realistic (make thicker structures less transparent), and make 3D display updates faster (without having to spend time with generating a surface mesh).

@rbumm Nice renderings. I like the approach.
@lassoan I am interested in exactly what you described. Have you had any additional thoughts or implemented anything to make it easy for the end user to achieve?

Has anyone done a more photo-realistic coloring mapping based on the TotalSegmentator labels? Ribs and vertebrae are whiteish, intestines are pinky red, etc.

@ME_Rad - in case you missed it, there’s been some progress in fixing the underlying rendering code and adding a module in the sandbox extension that exposes this technique for end users.

See these links some example images and movies including TotalSegmentator labels.

Adding the new thread from @jaimigray she posted. Check out the visuals.

1 Like