Can I open a single .raw file without the .mhd file?

Hi all, I got some labeled medical images in .raw format. Can I open a single .raw file without the .mhd file using 3D Slicer? And if not, is there any tool to convert the .raw file to .nii file?
Much appreciated!

Yes, you can open a raw file with Slicer. Of course the application still needs to know how to interpret that raw file, so you need to specify this data in a separate text header file (for example, a .nhdr file). You can conveniently generate such a header file using RawImageGuess extension.

1 Like

Thank you Iassoan, it works! I read the information from the original image and then used “RawImageGuess” to generate the header for the .raw file which is the labelled image.
It confused me initially as I can’t find the “RawImageGuess” module in my 3D Slicer for mac, and I finally found it in the Windows version. Is it possible to install this module in the 3D Slicer for mac?

Much appreciated!

RawImageGuess extension is available for Mac, too, but probably only for Slicer-4.11. Which Slicer version did you install?

I installed V4.10.2,the stable version I think. I will update it to the latest version. Thanks!

1 Like