Can't start latest stable on ubuntu 20.04

Which extension it is ?

Segmentation Wizard. It last worked for me in 4.10.2. The extension seems to install OK and I can see it in the Extensions manager window, but I can not find it under modules in the main program and it is listed as “not loaded” when I search using Module finder. Thanks for any help; I just need to finish up a little bit of old data.

Yes. Your system is not compatible with the precompiled binaries that we provide.

I today tried building Slicer in Manjaro Linux on a fresh install. it failed, with the following errors.

This is the output from the finals parts

https://pastebin.com/0gAANfae

As @RafaelPalomar said i checked the version of libffi

core/libffi 3.3-4 [installed]
Portable foreign function interface library
community/haskell-libffi 0.1-20
A binding to libffi
multilib/lib32-libffi 3.3-2 [installed]
A portable, high level programming interface to various calling conventions (32-bit)

@manjula, I think your problem is not related to the issue discussed in this thread. This thread is starting to be a mix of different issues and is becoming difficult to follow. I suggest that you open a new thread for discussing it.

Regards,
Rafael

1 Like

It may be better to keep this thread as general discussion topic here and create separate issues in the issue tracker to discuss technical details there.

apt-get install libxcb-xinerama0-dev

seemed to work for me on ubuntu 16.04

1 Like

I found this solution here and worked fine for me:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libxcb-xinerama0
1 Like

Thank you. This is also described in the Slicer install instructions.

@Karam_AbuGhalieh Do you have a suggestion how to make the instructions easier to find?

2 Likes

I was there before facing the problem, now I am surprised the solution is there!

I think what I did is just reading the Linux section and ignoring the next Debian/Ubuntu one!!

Note that for another machine where I started from a fresh unbuntu 20.04 that wasn’t configured as a desktop workstation I also needed to add this package to get past the xcb startup issue: sudo apt-get install libxcb-shape0

I also installed these packages to get xvfb-run to work with Slicer:

sudo apt-get install libxcb-icccm4-dev libxcb-image0-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-randr0 libxcb-render-util0 libxcb-xkb-dev libxkbcommon-x11-dev

libxcb-icccm4-dev libxcb-image0-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-randr0 libxcb-render-util0 libxcb-xkb-dev libxkbcommon-x11-dev

Hi @pieper , do you happen to remember the CentOS equivalent package names for these?

For NDA Amazon workspace, I needed to install the following packages to be able to launch a pre-built Slicer:

yum -y install xcb-util-wm xcb-util-image xcb-util-keysyms xcb-util-renderutil libxkbcommon-x11

2 Likes

@pieper should we add this to the Linux install instructions?

Yes, I was thinking of suggesting that. I didn’t have a chance to do it myself.

By the way, don’t forget to document export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3 .

It would be good if someone who uses the platforms in question could craft the PR with all the needed instructions. I don’t use these platforms.

Yes indeed.
sudo apt-get install libxcb-xinerama0

Just a quick note:

I downloaded and installed 5.2.2 on an Ubuntu 220.04 LTS.
I just have upgraded from 20.04 LTS the other day.

This is an almost vanilla install (I have no knowledge about previous package additions on this pc, but I am almost sure there weren’t too many)

I had to apt install t5dxcb-plugin because until then Slicer stopped during start:

./Slicer 
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: xcb.

error: [/home/attila/Downloads/Slicer-5.2.2-linux-amd64/bin/SlicerApp-real] exit abnormally - Report the problem.

Hello @nagy.attila, have you had a look at the documented requirements for linux?

https://slicer.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user_guide/getting_started.html#linux

On a VirtualBox fresh installation of Ubuntu 22.04 i just had to install:

sudo apt-get install libpulse-dev libnss3 libglu1-mesa
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libxcb-xinerama0

The binary re-distributable for both stable and preview launches without problems. I hope this helps.