Comparing the differences between two slices quantitatively

Operating system: MacOS High Sierra 10.13.1
Slicer version: 4.7.0-2017-09-21 r26391 (I can upgrade/downgrade if need be)
Expected behavior: Quantitative comparison of slices
Actual behavior: N/A

I have been tasked with creating images that show the least amount of difference between two images (if possible around a specific area of the images). I am unsure of which module/filter to use in order to easily get quantitative data about the differences!

Please Help!

Thank you,
Ishan

What kind of images you need to compare? Would you like to subtract the images from each other or just visually compare them side-by-side?

For visual comparison, it is probably enough to just set the same window/level values for both volumes in Volumes module.

If you need to subtract the images then probably spatially alignment would improve image quality a lot. You can register images using General registration (BRAINS) or General registration (Elastix) modules (for the latter you need to install SlicerElastix extension).

I am comparing MRI scans, I have conducted visual comparisons by overlapping them and allowing them to show 50/50, but I think the subtraction method would be more of what I am looking for. I will try the methods you have introduced and see if they work!

Thank you and Happy New Years!

1 Like

Also you can just subtract the two volumes and look at the resulting volume:

https://www.slicer.org/wiki/Documentation/4.8/Modules/SubtractScalarVolumes

HTH,
Steve

Dice coefficient is an efficient similarity comparison measure among
images.