Connecting HTC vive with 3D slicer

Do you have Steam and SteamVR installed? Do other SteamVR applications work well on your computer? What operating system and GPU do you have? Do you see any error in the logs (menu: Help / Report a bug; choose the previous session where the crash occurred)?

1 Like

Thanks for your help. I got my HTC+Vive controller work like a mouse to interact w/ Slicer. Pretty fun.

Next. How do I make 3D rendering so I can walk around the room w/ my headset+controller to hover over the images?

Just do everything as usual. Whatever you see in the scene in the 3D viewers will show up in your VR headset as soon as you click the VR headset button on the toolbar (after installing SlicerVirtualReality extension). For example, to see images, you can show slices, enable volume rendering, segment it and show the segments, etc. You can fly around and grab objects and we plan to further improve interactions and control throughout the coming months.

I am using Oculus HMD. When i am trying to use slicervirtualreality extension, I am getting “connection failed” error appearing next to “connect to hardware” checkbox. Any reason why. Thanks !

Have you set up your Oculus headset to work with SteamVR? I use HTC Vive and Windows Mixed Reality headsets, so I cannot give you instructions, but you should be able to find it on the internet. As far as I know, Oculus controllers are not supported in VTK’s virtual reality interface, so you’ll only be able to move around by moving around physically.

Thanks Andras. I got the Oculas working with SteamVR. I am not able to see in VR yet, getting SlicerApp-real.exe unresponsive. My laptop is a gaming laptop with good gpu/ram etc.

image - while closing slicer

Yes there’s this last leak I haven’t been able to figure out yet. Don’t worry about this, it doesn’t influence usage at all, just destruction of the objects at exit.

If you have Steam and SteamVR, and you have SlicerVirtualReality extension, then after the Oculus app is started (put on the headset for a moment and it will start it), then Slicer should be able to connect to Oculus no problem.

slicer is connecting ok, i think. I am able to see a 3d space. But it is empty. I am attaching my slicer screen

Look around. Also, if you click the crosshair icon (to the right from the connection icon) then the virtual reality view will be set up to show the same as the 3D view on the screen (when your head is in the default position/orientation that you’ve set up in SteamVR).

Good new is I can see the model now. I had to force my laptop to use GPU. Resolved that.
But I am not getting stereoscopic vision. Images are not getting combined properly. Model is showing continuous minor up and down move as well.

This looks like a hardware/configuration problem. What laptop model and GPU do you have? Do other SteamVR applications work well?

Volume rndering is demanding operation, you may try simple slice display first (click eye icon in the slice view controller, above the slice view).

For volume rendering, make sure to choose GPU volume rendering in Volume rendering module, and try adaptive technique first.

Andras, you last suggestion did it. I was not selecting GPU rendering. It looks great now! very well done. I will try some more.
I am using Oculus rift so not able to walk around using the controllers. Any idea when rift and touch controllers might be supported.

I can connect slicer with my phone by vridge success, but it fail to pull or push(Magnify or Zoom out)

With vridge, you cannot interact with the scene, only view it. To change your viewpoint, click the crosshair icon on the toolbar (on the right side of virtual reality headset icon).

Hey Buddy, I have encountered the same problem of SteamVR window “ready” with “[unresponsive] SlicerApp-real.exe”. The difference is that it reads “connection failed” next to the Connect to hardware. May I know how did you solve this problem. Thank you!

Since we’ve improved SlicerVirtualReality extension so that you can do much more than just viewing (fly, scale/rotate/move the scene, move around objects, etc.) and you can buy Windows Mixed Reality headsets for $300 (that come with two 6-dof controllers), it does not make much sense anymore to use vridge. I would recommend to get a Windows Mixed Reality device instead.

Hello everybody,
today I tried to view model in VR using Samsung S8 edge… I have installed all needed softwares and same message pops up in Steam VR as mentioned before (unresponsive SlicerApp-real.exe another one about graphic card and vr set as seen on the pic.

is there any help? I won’t be able to buy HTC Vive or Windows Mixer Reality anytime soon.

I’ve used this before with a Samsung S8 edge when the Slicer module was still quite limited and it made sense. However, now the experience with a phone (with 3-DOF tracking and a single 3-DOF controller) is so much worse than when using a proper virtual reality headset (with 6-DOF tracking and two 6-DOF controllers) that I would not recommend anyone to do this. You might end up making the false conclusion that medical virtual reality is useless, while the fact is that it is just so much worse using a phone-based system.

A Windows mixed reality headset costs $300 (including two controllers). If you can afford a virtual reality capable computer then this 10-20% extra cost should be tolerable. Windows mixed reality headsets have comparable or better specs than the original HTC Vive and their huge advantage is that they use inside-out-tracking, so you don’t to set up external trackers, with all the hassles of extra wires, necessary space, etc.