Constrain fiducials to surface

Thank you for the info. I understand how the points are located based on the previous discussion in this thread. However, I want to make “closed curve” markups on a defined plane on my own rather than the 2D plane, because the Red 2D image plane is not actually perpendicular to the longitudinal axes to the tongue. I wonder if I can generate a new cut/a slice/a plane in 3D view to annotate?

There are many ways to orient your slice views orthogonally to the longitudinal axis of the tongue.

The simplest is to enable slice intersections and rotate slice views using Ctrl/Cmd + Alt + left-click and drag in slice views until you get the right orientation.

If you want to reslice the tongue along its center axis, then define a markups curve corresponding to the central axis of the tongue (you can define a straight axis with two points, or you can make it curved by placing more control points).

• You can then use Cross-section analysis (provided by SlicerVMTK extension) to reslice with a plane orthogonal to this line.
  • If you defined a curve, you can straighten the tongue to simplify visualization and analysis using Curved Planar Reformat module (provided by Sandbox extension).
  • You can then get cross section area along the entire tongue, using Segment Cross-section Area module (provided by Sandbox extension).
  • If you find it hard to extract the tongue’s centerline exactly, then you can segment it using Segment Editor module, and compute the centerline using Extract centerline module (provided by SlicerVMTK extension)

It works for my purpose perfectly! Thank you so much for your help!

As I was measuring the length of the tongue, I can see the total length is 759.3mm after I created an open curve along the center axis. I wonder if there’s a way to know the length from control point “C-1” to “C-4” for example? In this way, I will be able to know the distance between the beginning of the tongue and each point.

If you only highlight those two and right click on them, you will see the distance reported.

When you say highlight, so you mean unselect all the other points? I right click on them and the length didn’t show up. Is there something that I did wrong?

I understand what you mean now, but the problem is that I can only see “summed linear distance” rather than the curve length along the tongue. Is there a way to see the “open curve” length by section rather than only the total length?

When you have only two points selected, summed distance is the same as the distance between them. See the screenshot below.

It is of course difference if you have three points. it will be equivalent to distance of point 1 and 2 plus point 2 and 3.