Displaying CAD Model in Slicer3D

Hi All! I am new to working with 3D Slicer, so I’m looking to the forum for some guidance. I am working on a project where I am developing my own python module. I’d like to be able to display a STEP file (for example, of a self-designed mechanical component) in 3D Slicer, and manipulate it’s configuration. What is the best way to approach displaying this model? I’ve found a couple sources/tutorials that allude to this being possible, but nothing that goes in-depth well enough for me to follow. Thank you for your help! I can provide more information or clarification if necessary.

You can export a polygonal mesh (ply, stl, obj, vtk, vtp, …) file from your CAD software and read that into Slicer.

Hi Andras,

Thank you for your help, I realize I wasn’t using a compatible file type and once I did load a STL file, I didn’t zoom out far enough. Is it possible to manipulate parts of the CAD model via a custom-written python module?

Yes, all features that are available on the GUI are available via Python scripting, too.

What manipulation would you like to do? Combine the part with bone or skin surface extracted from a patient’s image?