Encoding Error for DICOM File from Chison

Hi everyone,

It’s my first time using 3D Slicer and I hit a big road block at my very first step which is importing the DICOM file to the software. The software show me a number of faults which are:

• DICOM dataset contains some encoding that we never thought we would see (ISO 2022 IR 6). Using ASCII encoding.

• Image spacing may need to be calibrated for accurate size measurements.

The file is from a Chison Sonobook 9 machine.

I’m unable to proceed any further. Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

It could help if you paste the exact messages you get in the Slicer console.

Also if you post some sample data of a phantom or something (not patient identifiable data) to replicate the issue then maybe someone can check on their system.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for responding.

I’ve taken the following screenshots as requested.
Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 9.07.43 am

I’d like to submit the DICOM file I’m working on to this post but because I’m unable to open it with 3DSlicer, I can’t remove the patient’s data. Is there another software I can use to do this?

Thanks kindly,

Hi Steve,

I have been able to delete the patient’s information from the DICOM file using Osirix. The DICOM file is attached.

DICOM File

Hmm, it seems to work fine for me. This is a rendered screen capture though (the scale on the right is burned into the image and it’s only one frame) so probably nothing meaningful to do with it in slicer.

Maybe Osirix fixed the format compared to the original?

Hi Steve,

Yes, it seems Osirix had fixed the format. I can open the new file but not the original.

Now i’m facing with a new problem. I thought I’ve exported a 3D Dicom file but it is in fact only an image. I need to find a way to export the 3D file from a Chison Sonobook 9 and their manual is next to useless.

Your help is much appreciated.

Most 3D ultrasound systems do not allow saving of the 3D data in standard file fornat. You can contact sales representatives or technical support people and ask for a 3D data export.

Alternatively, you can try to reverse engineer their proprietary file format. It should be doable if they don’t use compression.