Energy layers in a scanning beam proton treatment plan viewed in SlicerRT

Hello,

Is information about “energy layers” available in SlicerRT? In SlicerRT (version 1.0.0 running as an extension to 3D Slicer 5.2.1 on Linux), I see only one table (corresponding to one energy layer) with x and y positions and the weights of the scanning beam. The original RT plan created using Varian Eclipse uses at least 20 energy layers, each containing x and y positions and weights.

I’m new to SlicerRT, so it may be my fault that I don’t know how to display the tables. I aim to extract information about the scanning beam and use it in the Monte Carlo simulation code Topas.

Thank you,
Alexandr

In the end, I extracted the ScanSpot_PositionMap_MetersetWeights tables via Pydicom. For a given field, SlicerRT shows only one of the tables. IMHO, the feature to view all of them (one table for one energy layer) is not implemented in SlicerRT.

Alexandr

Dear Alexandr,

Scan spot position map is a dynamic sequence for a RTBeam in a RTPlan.

If you have a dynamic beam with multiple control points in your plan, and the plan with the beam was loaded successfully, you can use Sequences module.

1. After successful loading, select module Sequences in Sequences subsection;

2. Select required sequence browser for a particular beam;

3. Change Control point index for desired value;

4. In subject hierarchy click on ScanSpot_PositionMap table to get different values for each control point.

Lack of good documentation is a real issue indeed.

If you need a Nominal Beam Energy parameter for each control point, or the first value if energy is fixed, that information is unavailable from GUI.

Dear Mikhail,

Thank you for the information. I’ve checked that SlicerRT and the code below provide the same values. That is what I need.

import pydicom
import pandas as pd

dRN = pydicom.dcmread("RN.Plan1.dcm")

iIbs = 2    # Sequence browser index in SlicerRT - 1
iIcps = 48  # Control point in SlicerRT

np = dRN.IonBeamSequence[iIbs].IonControlPointSequence[iIcps].NumberOfScanSpotPositions
xv = dRN.IonBeamSequence[iIbs].IonControlPointSequence[iIcps].ScanSpotPositionMap[0::2]
yv = dRN.IonBeamSequence[iIbs].IonControlPointSequence[iIcps].ScanSpotPositionMap[1::2]
wt = dRN.IonBeamSequence[iIbs].IonControlPointSequence[iIcps].ScanSpotMetersetWeights
ScanSpotTable = pd.DataFrame({'x': xv, 'y': yv, 'weight': wt})

print('Energy = {} MeV'.format(dRN.IonBeamSequence[iIbs].IonControlPointSequence[iIcps].NominalBeamEnergy))
print(ScanSpotTable)

Output:

Energy = 63.259 MeV
      x     y    weight
0 -14.0 -21.0  0.058259
1 -28.0 -14.0  0.068364
2 -21.0 -14.0  0.038700
3 -14.0 -14.0  0.155363
4  -7.0  -7.0  0.075061
5 -14.0  -7.0  0.039275
6 -21.0  -7.0  0.097907
7 -14.0   0.0  0.110739