Failure to convert DICOM files to Nrrd for Diffusion MRI Analysis

Hello every one,
I’m a new 3D slicer user (4.10.1 version), I intend to convert DCM files to Nrrd for the purpose of diffusion MRI analysis (the public data come from the Visual Human Project).
However I have this error message:
Diffusion-weighted DICOM Import (DWIConvert) standard error:
Error: no DICOMfiles found in inputDirectory: D:/Modélisation_tête/GRANDIN_TETE_HUMAINE/2 - Datas/4 - 3D Slicer/Intput_directory/st000/se000
Unable to create converter!
I tried to use the lastest build version (4.11) but no DWI volume set was created and that version doesn’t have DWI converter extension yet…
I also tried to use the “patch” option or to copy/paste the data into another folder as I could read in previous posts but it didn’t work neither
Can someone help me please ??

The DICOM importer and database are known to have problems with special characters in the paths. Please try to move the data to a path that only has ascii characters, and make sure your databsae is in such a folder as well.

Yes, I have also faced the similar issue with special characters in the database. However, I couldn’t fix it even after moving the DB into the same folder. :confused:

Have you reported this problem?
It’s possible that not just the database but the files were also in folders with paths containing spaces and/or non-ascii characters.

1 Like

@cpinter I did as you said I changed the path with only ascii characters path but now I have another error message:

Diffusion-weighted DICOM Import (DWIConvert) standard error:

Exception extracting gradient vectors
itk::ExceptionObject (00000000002FB410)
File: D:\D\S\Slicer-4101-build\ITK\Modules\IO\DCMTK\src\itkDCMTKFileReader.cxx
Line: 577
Description: itk::ERROR: Cant find tag 18 9089
I googled the message error but wasn’t conclusive…

Have a look at this dicussion of dcm2niix as an alternative:

Hi @pieper thank you for your answer,
However even if did manage to reconstruct the geometry and the convertion, I did not have the b-vector and b-value files critical for the diffusion MRI analysis is that normal ?

@bebo looking back, it seems you are trying to work with the visible human data, but I don’t believe there is any DWI acquisition, so no, you wouldn’t be able do diffusion analysis.

@pieper thank you for answer.
Indeed, I googled it and it seems that there’s no DWI acquisition… which explains all my troubles… Any way Thank you !!