Feedback on Slicer Sticker design

Hi,

To follow up on the last discussion about the sticker, we settle on the text Discover with 3D Slicer (thanks for the suggestion @lassoan).

Note: The purple border is NOT part of the final sticker.

Here the design we will most likely go with (version 1):

And here are few other versions I just suggested to our designer (respectively version 2 and version 3):

Last, here is an interesting discussion about open-source stickers. See Sticky situation: The serious business of stickers in open source | Opensource.com

Let us know what you think,

This is awesome. I’m giving an invited talk on Slicer programming at AAPM this year, would be great to have some to distribute.

Thanks for the feedback @gcsharp.

And after further discussion, look like we will go with version 1. The version 2 and version 3 were “off balance” from a design standpoint.

Sorry for being late into the discussion, I’ve just noticed this.

I personally would prefer version 3.

I find the line “Kitware | Open Source” somewhat confusing. With all the due respect to Kitware, and undeniable critical contribution of Kitware to Slicer maintenance, I think it is more important to acknowledge the broader community of 3D Slicer developers and users.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @fedorov

To be consistent with the existing stickers already associated with the other toolkits supported by Kitware (VTK, ITK, Girder, … ), in this first iteration, version 1 will be adopted.

That said, I will make sure to share your comment with the design team.

Jc, please let us know your experience with printing them out (cost vs quantity, quality, lead time).

1 Like

Great initiative! :slight_smile:
I second Andrey in all aspects! But I also understand JC’s standpoint.

What about other stuff like pens, t-shirts… maybe mugs… :wink:

1 Like

I would also favor version 3. I think “open source” is a more important piece of information than “Kitware”. In addition, while Slicer heavily relies on ITK, VTK, CMake, which are mainly indeed created and maintained by Kitware, Slicer itself is more community-based. Without actually having measured anything, I’d venture saying that more than half of the features and bug fixes come from parties outside Kitware. So “supported by” could be more appropriate in this case.

2 Likes

I like both 1 and 3. Since Kitware pays for the stickers and mainly they will distribute them, it makes sense to make Kitware’s name well visible.

4 Likes

I’d love some stickers too please! I’m happy to recognize Kitware’s support and also their wisdom in building so much of their work around community projects including Slicer.

2 Likes

+1 on sticker#1. Thanks JC for taking the initiative. Tattoos next?

2 Likes

@jcfr stickers look great. Would kitware make digital versions available to put on posters, talks, or other related things? Additional wording on digital ones might be good too (like Segmented with, Visualized with, Measured with) etc…

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

make digital versions available to put on posters, talks, or other related things?

Would kitware make digital versions available to put on posters, talks, or other related things? Additional wording on digital ones might be good too

I will follow up with an update.

https://www.slicer.org/wiki/Slicer3:Slicer3Brand#3D_Slicer_brand
Just in case someone is looking for the Slicer logo.

For future reference, looking at the SVG source, we can see that the font-family for the logo is Verdana.

style="...;font-family:Verdana;-inkscape-font-specification:Verdana;...

Using website like this one allow to confirm this.

1 Like

This is also stated in this pdf:

Even though this is for Slicer3 I think those basic guidelines didn’t change.

1 Like