Based on a discussion that originally began in the thread, Slicer module panel icon in dark mode, I wanted to show variations of a proposed new Slicer logo that I mocked up.
- Must be similar in design to current logo and still recognizable as “3D Slicer”. This includes shapes and colors used. Main idea is to convey 3D shapes, 2D slice intersections (axial, sagittal, coronal) and voxel based representations.
- Switch to flat colors instead of shading to support logo on light and dark backgrounds with minimal or no transformation.
- Reduce number of design elements and colors.
- Incorporate the main color from the logomark in the text portion of the full logo. That could be just the “3D” part or the entire text “3D Slicer”. This should create a relationship between the logomark and the text.
- The full logo must include the logomark with plans to use the logomark as a favicon.
- Update the text in the full logo to separate “3D” and “Slicer” as a communication guide had previously defined “3DSlicer” as not correct, but “3D Slicer” which includes a space between words as correct.
- Could be reincorporated into the Slicer sticker design.
**Disclaimer: All variations of the logomark and full logo were very crudely created and should only serve as a rough sketch idea. Highlighting around color borders is simply an artifact of the sketch process and can be either considered or ignored for a final design. Again, these are sketches and I am not a real graphic designer. Just a community member with some free time.
Current Slicer Logo
I wanted to incorporate a color from the original Slicer logo to be used as the primary color for the logomark. My preference of the main gray colors in the current Slicer logo:
- Medium Gray
- Light Gray
- Dark Gray
- Other Gray (no examples shown below)