Linking slice views to cropped volume rendering

I am playing with this excellent zebrafish embryo dataset Dryad | Data – Computational 3D histological phenotyping of whole zebrafish by X-ray histotomography (datadryad.org)

I can do nice surface visualization with volume rendering, but when I try to display internal detail, it is less than ideal and I am having a hard time finding a good property to give me the full detail I am seeing in the slice views.

One way to deal with is to display the current slice view and line that up with the cropping ROI.

But then every time I have to move the ROI, I have to spend time to find a way to line that up with the matching slice. How slice is displayed in 3D is also depends on the FOV is 2D viewer (e.g., if you zoom in too far, then 3D gets cut.)

Is there a better way of achieving this visualization, and still maintain the ease of use of cropping in volume rendering.

Reminds me of what was being discussed here

It would be pretty nice to have a way of linking slice views and volume cropping!

1 Like

Agreed, that would be a nice view mode. Probably not terribly hard to implement. It would be very easy to do a python hack if you need something quick, but a bit harder to make something that is cleanly integrated.

2 Likes