Loading of GE/Kretz ultrasound volumes (.vol file)

hi guys, any progress?

1 Like

hey @lassoan , i am a student (Computer Science) from an university from Chile (Universidad Austral de Chile , UACH), and i am part of a group that is trying to read Kertz ultrasound to make a 3D impression.
We are thinking if you need help with more data sets or even development, to improve the scan conversion, because we might be able to help you if you want, we have a Voluson i if you are interested.

3 Likes

It would be great if you could help with improving the importer. There are two main limitations:

• import from simple rectilinear volumes is not implemented yet (we would just need to figure out which fields store image spacing and use that and disable scan conversion)
  • it is not clear how to determine start/end radius for spherical acquisitions (Iā€™ve got some more data that should help in finding out which fields to use and how, but I did not have time to analyze it yet)
2 Likes

I followed the instruction that you suggest but have no success to load .vol imagens in 3D Slicer. This .vol imagens opens in TomoVision but not in 3D Slicer. Any advice?

2 Likes

I have only implemented importing of images acquired with a spherical probe, your might have been acquired with a cylindrical, or there could have been other differences. Iā€™ll improve the importer in the following weeks and post an update here.

2 Likes

I am having the same problem as Charlie and the probe for the GE machine is a rab6-4d convex probe. Iā€™m pretty sure you are correct Andras, and this is a cylindrical probe. From my research it seems the most popular type for that machine. I donā€™t have direct access to the machine, but I might be able to get some data for you if that would be of help. Thank you for all you do.

1 Like

OK, thanks for the note. Iā€™ll find some time to work on this soon.

1 Like

Hi! thanks for your awesome work!! do you need anymore data??? i have a Voluson P8, if you need some volumetric data tell me

1 Like

You have to save the file as a compressed volume format, and then search for a file with the extension .4dv

1 Like

hi guys, any progress? I met this problem too.

1 Like

Hola Fabian! Trabajo en la Universidad de ConcepciĆ³n y estamos en un proyecto relacionado a lo que comentas, como puedo contactarte? mi correo es ian.kiel@crai.cl.

Saludos!

1 Like

Please keep the conversation in English.

I havenā€™t had time recently to work on this, but if somebody could spend some time with improving the importer then I could give pointers where to start.

1 Like

i try different extension to save image in volume in voluson s8 dicom, uncompressed 4dv, cartesian volume, (vol, raw). could you tell me where is extension for nightly 3d slicer?? thank you

The importer is provided by SlicerHeart extension.

Hi everybody.
I have also problems as mentioned above. I have several studies performed with GE Voluson S8 and S10, and Siemens acuson x300. All three US have convex probe.

I have nightly version od Slicer and have installed SlicerHeart extension but still canā€™t do anything. When I try to upload .vol file directly (drag and drop) nothing appears, and when I try to open the whole folder of study, a usual message appears ā€¦ could not uploadā€¦ scalar volume.

Desperately need help, thank you!!

Vjekoslav.

hi kopachini. same problem. i instaled slice heart also, import vol, dicom, and other format doesnt appear anything. could someone help more detailed how to load. thank you so much

Anybody who has GE/Kretz ultrasound volumes that fails to load after installing SlicerHeart extension: please upload anonymized or phantom datasets to a file sharing service and send me the link in private message so that I can investigate.

Couldnā€™t find out how to send a private message. here is some data that I couldnā€™t get to import. Came up with ā€˜Voxel data not foundā€™

The files that you have uploaded were compressed. Loading of compressed files are not supported. However, I was able to load it into GEā€™s 4D-View software and from there save it as ā€œ3D Cart. vol.ā€ (3D Cartesian volume). I was able to load this Cartesian volume file into Slicer successfully. I just had to make a small tweak, which will be available in nightly releases downloaded June 24 or later.

4 Likes

Hi Andras,

sorry, I havenā€™t been able to find how I can send private messages.

Iā€™ve been trying to load a GE Kretz ultrasound volume (.vol) given to me by a sonographer.
After installing the SlicerHeart Extension I was able to load a few of the supplied files, but I wasnā€™t able to visualise the volumes correctly following the steps shown in your demonstration video.

Would you be so kind and test the following files?

The file version 6_2 seemed to be the ā€œclosestā€ but it seems to be a wrong projection somehow.

Any tips would be very much appreciated!

Thank you