Loading of GE/Kretz ultrasound volumes (.vol file)

Image 6_2 looked good for me. I’ve used Segment Editor module’s Threshold effect to create surface and then Scissors effect to remove irrelevant parts and got this:

Scene file: download. This segmentation is usable for 3D printing.

After that, I’ve used Margin effect to grow the segmentation a bit and used it as mask in Mask Volume effect (this effect shows up if you install SegmentEditorExtraEffects extension) to blank out parts of the input volume that are outside the segmented region, and visualized result using Volume rendering module:

Scene file: download

thanks so much for all these valuable tips and getting back so quickly! I’m going to try and replicate your workflow.

I’m wondering about why the other files aren’t working.

If I asked the sonographer to re-supply some data, how would I need to describe the type of data that’s supported by Slicer? Would it be an “uncompressed 3D Cartesian volume file”?

All the other volumes are imported correctly, too, but the default brightness/contrast of the image is off (the image is too dark because there is a very bright spot and the automatic contrast adjustment method optimizes the visibility of that spot). You can make the image brighter by click-and-drag mouse left button over the slice view in down/right direction.

1 Like

That’s it! fantastic, thank you!!

For GE Kretzfile format, it does not have to be Cartesian (actually, you may get more accurate images if saved as native, non-Cartesian volume), but it must be uncompressed.

1 Like

Hi Andras,

I am trying to load some .vol files from a GE machine (GE Voluson S8) that I have been sent by a sonographer. is it possible I could email you a private link to the files and ask if you can open them as I am struggling to. I have the latest nightly build with the heart slice extension installed, but nothing happens when I open the files. I have downloaded a copy of the GE 4d view app (10.5bt12 ext1) and with this I can open the file sample files ok.

Many thanks

Duncan

Feel free to send me the link in a private message (click on my name and then on the message button).

1 Like

Hi,
I am jewelry designer and i would like to implement my wife USG to 3d software, and then make probably some jewelry. I tried to open .vol file from the Voluson S10(probably) machine in 3D Slicer, but i see nothing. I can’t write to you in priv now. If you have any suggestion what can i do with it, i will be very grateful :slight_smile: I can of course share a file…

Install SlicerHeart extension and follow these instructions to load .vol files into Slicer: https://github.com/SlicerHeart/SlicerHeart#ge

2 Likes

It works! Thanks a lot :slight_smile:
Is there any possibility to export model smoother like that?
When i export it looks like this
Any suggestions?

Anyone have some suggestions?

While in the Segment Editor module, if you click the dropdown arrow next to “Show 3D”, you can set surface smoothing. By default, I believe it is at 0.5.

If the goal is nice model to look at on screen then I would recommend volume rendering, as you make boundaries semi-transparent, which naturally smoothes out any surface errors.

If the goal is 3D printing of the model with a common plastic/PLA printer using non-transparent materials then you need to generate a surface mesh (that is the input format for these printers). You can apply smoothing during 3D model generation as @avarghes23 recommended above. If that’s not enough then you can use Smoothing effect in the Segment Editor.

You can print volume rendering using pixel printing technique, but such printers are very scarcely available.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will try this method.
I usually use printers with high accuracy like SLA, so the accurancy is up to 10 microns.

Have a nice weekend.

Hello, I have a GE Voluson E6. I wan’t to open .vol files on Slicer but I haven’t be able to do it.
I have been using the 4.11 nigtly version, I couldn’t find the extension “SlicerHeart”, Or, is there another way to import these files and get an image suitable for 3d printing?

There are some build errors preventing SlicerHeart extension to show up in latest nightly build. Until the error is fixed, you can use the latest stable Slicer version.

Hello I have a GE Voluson E8 ultrasound system and I want to extract an ultrasound file for 3D editing in 3D Slicer program. However, I know neither what exactly to extract nor how to do it. I have read some of your comments about inserting data in 3D Slicer program. Could you give me some instructions what to do?

Thank you in advance, Kostas.

Slicer can only import certain 3D ultrasound files, yours may or may not be among those that are supported. You need to install SlicerHeart extension and follow instructions described here: https://github.com/SlicerHeart/SlicerHeart.

2 Likes

2019-05-19%2000_44_19-sirisha%20ultrasound

How to open .vol file.

Install SlicerHeart extension and follow these instructions to load .vol files into Slicer.

1 Like