Loading of GE/Kretz ultrasound volumes (.vol file)

Yes, systems for different clinical segments (cardiovascular, ob-gyn, point-of-care, etc) and different generations of these systems are developed independently by different groups in different countries and generate completely different data sets. Even though they may all use DICOM fields, most data are stored in various private tags.

I just read all your suggestions on this thread and tried out some things, but could not get it to work.

Using SlicerHeart it does find the data, but only one slice, so I only see a line in two of the three planes and canā€™t scroll through the transverse plane.

When I open the data in 4D View all 3D data is there, but I canā€™t save it in any way that is not only a screenshot of the three planes.
Also the files donā€™t have an extension.

Do you have any suggestion what could be the problem here?

@lassoan Hi AndrƔs, first thank you for your help here in this thread, it is very useful for many of us.

I would have a question, because I have read the topic and the others you used to link for this type of questions ( SlicerHeart, import export ) but Iā€™m still unable to import my .vol files from a GE ultrasound.
They are not compressed and I use the Heart extension, and I saved the files with the GE 4D view tool as well (Wavelet compression" set to None).
Could you please take a look on it?

thank you!

MƔtƩ

Hi @lassoan . Thanks for all the help provided in this thread. Itā€™s really been an awesome source of information to try to visualize .vol data in slicer3D.

However, I havenā€™t ben able to find an answer to the question I still have.

GE Voluson S8 (the machine Iā€™m working with) allows me to export in 2 types of .vol format, cartesian and non-cartessian. When I download the cartesian file, I only find 1 of the 56 volumes recorded in that 4D ultrasound session. I donā€™t know for sure which of the 56 ā€œframesā€ it corresponds, to, but in any case, it is not the ā€œframeā€ Iā€™d like.

Iā€™ve been exporting data in any format possible, and I only managed to find that non-cartesian .vol files seem to have different sizes for different 4D ā€œvideosā€. Would my guess be right in assuming that the non-cartesian .vol file contains every frame? in that case, how can I save the file so that it is not compressed?

Trying to delve into the code for reading .vols, I found that for polar .vol files, you still expect the data to be in tag xD000, but I find my data on xD700 instead, and not in an easy to read/interpret format.

Would you have any hints (coding or not coding) that could help me read frame #30? Can I do anything to export a cartesian .vol with a specific frame that I care about?

Thanks!

Hi
I have a similar problem, I have .vol files from a voluson S8 ultrasound, the doctor gave me the files via USB, when I pass them to slicer an error appears and that it cannot load them. I donā€™t know if anyone has had the same problem and how do I solve it.

Hi everyone. Let me tell you my problem and i wish someone could help me, i appreciate a lot. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Iā€™m Aldair Padilla and a few months ago my couple and I received the news that we will be parents. We are so happy because of that. :smiling_face: Well iā€™m an engineer and i know about 3d printers because i have a two of this machines, and i really want to print the face fof my baby. :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

A few days ago we receive the .Vol file from the doctor, i download a lot of softwares like rhinoceros, babyslice, 3dslicer, etcā€¦ but I couldnā€™t open the file to modify it and later print it in 3D. :sneezing_face: :disappointed_relieved:

I was hoping to surprise my couple with 3D printing of the face from our baby. i add the files and i really wish someone could help me to convert the file in some format that i could edit. But if someone could convert them in .STL, .OBJ, or any format that i can use to print I would really apreciate it, and if you need a pay for that job iā€™m pay it i just want to print my baby face. I add the link to get the .vol files :heart_eyes:

UltraSound baby