MacBook Air M2 for 3D Slicer

Hi,
Does the new MacBook Air M2 with 8-core GPU and 8 GB of RAM meet the requirements to run 3D Slicer smoothly?
Respects,

Yes, in my experience for routine Slicer tasks it works well.

1 Like

There have been some reports of issues using the scissors tool in the Segment Editor module on Apple Silicon based machines.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to reproduce the reported slowdowns on the M2 mac air, even with the scene provided by @sannpeterson. It would be good to hear what experience other people are having. It’s possible that an OS update fixed some issue or other.

1 Like

(apologies for the slightly off-topic question, but I’m hoping M1 and M2 users could chime in…)

@pieper, have you done any volume rendering on an M1 or M2 Mac? I’m curious about the “unified” CPU and GPU ram, and how that’s handled with large datasets.

@hherhold I haven’t done extensive testing, but it seems pretty good for a lightweight laptop. If I use the CTACardio sample data I notice some slowdown if I maximize the 3D view.

Hmm, sounds good. (Always thinking of the next computer.)

Thanks!!!

For comparison, my 3 year old mac pro with AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB doesn’t show much slowdown for the same data on a 4k monitor (of course the mac pro is like 100 times bigger!)

Yeah, my 2019 MBP 16" with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB still does quite well. A little concerned over the loss of a discrete GPU in the new Macs.

But that’s a problem for another day

Thanks again!

You think if I do segmentation of cerebral arteries and veins I will face a slowdown?

I don’t know - if you know of a sample dataset of comparable complexity then people could try on various machines and compare results.

1 Like