Markups - highlight selected markup clicked in 3D view?

Hi all,

I looked through the topics and docs and this seems like a pretty obvious thing, but I didn’t find it anywhere.

Is there a way to click on a markup in the 3D view and have it highlighted in the markups list in the markup module? I feel like this should work but I’m doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance!

-Hollister

Yes, you can right-click on the markup and choose “Edit properties”. It opens Markups module, with the clicked markup node selected.

That’s a useful feature to have, but I don’t think it is implemented. You can hover over the point, and then right click on it and say ‘toggle point’ and that sort of gives an indication of which one is in the list. But not really ideal for large number of points.

Sorry, that doesn’t work in my case (i.e., it doesn’t show the right fiducial selected in the control points). r29055 (windows)

We haven’t thought about highlighting the point, too, just the markup (and use “toggle select point” for cross-referencing points across views and modules), but it should be quite easy to implement. What is your use case (how would you use and for what applications)?

Regarding what Murat said, right-clicking in 2D or 3D does not bring up a menu - this appears not to be implemented.

I have a number of markups that label particular morphologies, and I need to edit the names and descriptions. It would be simplest to click in 3D and have it selected in the list in the markups module (or right click, or shift-click, or command-click, I’m flexible). Right now I basically select and de-select markups to see which one is which in the 3D view, or use jump slices to see where it is.

Right click is a fairly new feature. Perhaps you are running an older build?

Ditto on the use case. We have similar ones too…

I’m running May 5 nightly. I’ll grab a newer one.

Thanks! Hope you guys are well.

Right-click should be available in May 5 version. Do you use a Mac? I’ve noticed that on some touchpad/mouse on Mac create many pointer events, even when the point is not or barely moved, which defeats the current click detection mechanism. Maybe we need to increase the click detection’s motion tolerance.

I am on a Mac, yes. I was looking through the commits since May 5 and didn’t see anything obvious, so I was wondering why it doesn’t work.

I am using an external mouse, not a touchpad, if that makes a difference.

In qSlicerMarkupsModuleWidget.cxx, I see a connection for right-click in the activeMarkupTableWidget. Is there a different place where the signal comes from the 3D view or a slice view (presumably to the same slot)?

Markup node selection is initiated by the 2D/3D markups widget and it ends with calling qSlicerMarkupsModuleWidget::setEditedNode. Markups ID could be passed in the context argument.

OK. But this is implemented already? I was mostly looking for where it might be not working. Sorry for my confusion!

Yes, context menu on right-click is implemented and it works already. If the context menu does not appear for you then it is a bug.

yeah, it does not appear to work. I’m right-clicking very carefully with an external mouse so it does not appear to be a trackpad/touchpad noisy-right-click-with-two-fingers issue.

Odd, it works fine for me on mac with either mouse or trackpad.

You are right clicking after the fiducial color changed from red to blue (meaning it is selected), right? Otherwise it doesn’t work? Any chance you might have interactions disabled?

Do you have a debug-mode build? It would be awesome if you could track this down. I would suspect that your mouse driver generates a mouse event between pressing and releasing the button, even if you don’t physically move the mouse (or maybe you move it by 0.00001mm) and that confuses the click detection logic here: Slicer/Libs/MRML/DisplayableManager/vtkMRMLViewInteractorStyle.cxx at main · Slicer/Slicer · GitHub. If indeed this is the problem then it could be fixed by checking how much the mouse was moved instead of just detecting that a mouse move event was fired.

OK, this is odd. This is an older file I’m working with, maybe from January or so. When I just download sample data (CTACardio), place a fiducial, and right click in the 3D view, it works fine.

I took a look at the fcsv file and for my older file that does not work, I do not have entries for associatedNodeID for most of the entries, whereas the newer one I just made from the demo data has vtkMRMLScalarVolumeNode1 for all fiducials.

I also have CoordinateSystem=0 at the top, whereas the file I just created has LPS.

I did try hand-changing the coordinate system to LPS but this moves all my fiducials, and right click still doesn’t work.

I also added vtkMRMLScalarVolumeNode1 (which is a real, correct node) to all lines and right click still doesn’t work.

I really do think this is some kind of pilot error (me), or possibly an old file incompatibility (less likely).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Can you upload the scene .mrb file that reproduces this somewhere and post the link here?