New 3D Slicer extension for planning and surgical guide generation for mandibular bone reconstruction

BoneReconstructionPlanner is a 3D Slicer extension for virtual surgical planning of mandibular reconstruction with vascularized fibula free flap and generation of patient-specific surgical guides.

BoneReconstructionPlanner is now available in the Extensions Manager for Slicer latest preview release.

Here is a preview video:

And the link to the project:

7 Likes

This extension wasn’t working due to an issue with the CMakeLists file.
The problem has been solved. Please reinstall the extension since tomorrow and it will work

There was a bug that made BoneReconstructionPlanner not work on the preview release. Now it has been solved. So it works well in both stable and preview releases of Slicer.

A videotutorial of use is available here:

3 Likes

There was a hard to replicate bug that caused Slicer to crash while doing some BoneReconstructionPlanner processing.

This faulty behavior has been fixed by the latest commit to the main branch.

Thanks for using BRP

The bug that some times made BRP crash while creating miterBoxes and holesCylinders was solved.

Probably it had something to do with that Polydata was created and then transformed very fast and some how it produced an exception.
See details here:

2 Likes

Finally we tracked down the real reason of the bug that made Slicer crash sometimes while creating cylinders or miterBoxes…

I’m sure users will be glad to know this is now really fixed

2 Likes

There was another bug on Slicer (tracked here) that made the crash happen and it will be solved soon since we found a way to make it reproducible.

The BRP team

1 Like

On the next weekends, since I do this ad-honorem, I’ll be creating BoneReconstructionPlanner self-tests that will allow other developers to maintain and improve this extension.

2 Likes

The tests development for BoneReconstructionPlanner is moving forward.

Here is video of a Virtual Surgical Planning workflow for mandible reconstruction:

Soon, probably, there will be tests for anatomical surgical guide creation also.

Best wishes,

MScEng Mauro I. Dominguez

2 Likes

Hi!! I have problem with this plug in. I tried with different PCs but 3D slicer crashes when I use the plug-in. Any ideas? It would be very useful to be able to use it. Thanks.

Hi.

I just made a Virtual Surgical Plan and could create the reconstructed neomandible and the fibula surgical guide yesterday. Be sure to be using “Slicer 5.2.2 Stable” release.

I’ll finish my planning today making the mandible surgical guide but I’m not expecting to find any problems. I did not experience any crash.

Please follow this instructions and report where you get the crash or you get stuck. Then I can help further.

I could finish the mandible surgical guide yesterday without problems

Hi!! I uninstalled and reinstalled version 5.2.2 and it worked without any problems! Thank you very much for helping!!

Hi

Do you mean you could finish the virtual surgical planning and export the neomandible and personalized surgical guides by following the instructions by yourself?

EDIT: @francesca_flore liked this comment so most probably she got it working

1 Like

Right! But it doesn’t work with subsequent versions… I have tried with 5.4.0 and 5.5.0

Good to know. Thanks

This would be solved in future

Since the commit below all appears working for me now on Slicer 5.6.1

Please report if not

Mauro

I’ve been using this extension on 5.6.1 and it seems to crash every time I perform the boolean operation. I’ve tried deleting and re-installing, same problem.

If you can provide a video showing what happens and zipped file with a Slicer scene to reproduce the problem I’ll be able to fix it

Thank you for the timely response!

I can send a video but it does not show much, I’ve been following the tutorial in the README and have done everything up to the boolean operation for the fibula guide base. Slicer stops responding as soon as I click it. I have gotten it to run on slicer 5.2.2, but the boolean operation fails instead of crashing the program. I have a link to my zipped file

Nolan Bennett Cutting Guide Test.zip

1 Like