New Segment Editor layout - vertical effect toolbar

For me the buttons collapsing under the click look really bad. The issue is particularly severe because the clicked button is resized.

I think we should not be creative here, but go with solutions that are commonly used in other software.

I agree with @lassoan that the button collapse after click is very odd.

When the text was first removed, I was not a fan - I do like the extra space but I missed the text.

This went away after about 2 days. I havenā€™t missed it since. I will occasionally blank on what a given icon does for something I donā€™t use often, but switches between tools isnā€™t slow enough for me that I feel like Iā€™ve wasted time clicking the wrong one.

One possibility is something similar to what Photoshop does (see pic below). If you click and hold, it will tell you the tool (and possible tools grouped under that one, which Slicer doesnā€™t do right now, but could in the future?)

I agree, the collapsing series of buttons are not convincing.

Arenā€™t the tooltips helpful for this purpose?

I think they work fine, and theyā€™re consistent with other applications. What was the objection to them?

As mentioned, I think this is largely an issue with newcomers and coming up to speed quickly?

Newcomers and occasional users who havenā€™t memorized look and location of the icons may prefer to see labels, at the cost of less space available for seeing images and/or need to scroll more to see all editor effect options.

Adding a checkbox into the segment editor widget to allow would make the GUI just slightly more complicated:

The issue with the labels is that they make the width of the icon too big. This is particularly concerning for effects llike the Fill Between Slices, Grow From Seeds, Logical Operators. On high-DPI screens, I occassionally encounter weird issues such as text being too large with relation to the icons (due to some issue with incorrect scaling, but it was never consistent).

If we are going to go back to having the labels, I propose using shorter labels for effects, so that the icons donā€™t take too much space, as well as be aesthetically a bit more consistent. Perhaps labels that are only 10 chr max, such as
Grow from seed ā†’ Grow / Grow seeds
Logical Operators ā†’ Logical Ops
Fill Between Slices ā†’ Thick Edit / Interpolate

1 Like

We would not go back to having labels. This would be just a clutch that could be turned on temporarily for people who want this. Kind of an accessibility feature.

I agree that it would be nice to simplify those long effect names, not just for the label lengths but also for making it easier to talk about effects.

ā€œGrow seedsā€ sounds good and similar enough to the old name that it would probably not cause big issue.

I have a very good candidate for ā€œLogical operatorsā€ effect name: ā€œCombineā€. It is short and works beautifully for intersect, union, etc. Unfortunately, it is not really applicable to invert and clear. It is also very different from the original name, so the name switch may not be smooth.

ā€œInterpolateā€ is good for scientists and engineers but I donā€™t think that clinicians realize that ā€œinterpolateā€ means that they only need to segment on a few parallel slices. There can also be many kinds of interpolations and this one only supports interpolation between parallel slices.