Open source Human Anatomy Atlas

@Melodicpinpon FYI, I’ve tried the atlas and it was a bit hard for me to use it. Maybe my feedback can be useful for you:

• Higher than expected hardware requirements: It needs desktop computer or gaming laptop. My relatively strong Intel i7 ultrabook with 16GB RAM, and Intel Iris Plus Graphics could not handle it (I could barely rotate the viewin Blender, physical memory usage was near 100%). My desktop with an i7 CPU, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080 could load the model without problems, but everything was still sluggish. => For authoring/editing it could be OK to require 32 GB RAM and desktop class GPU, but for users you would need to create decimated models (preferable by about a factor of 10x).
  • There are a number of extra setup steps to adjust the application preferences. Some of them persistently change the preferences, so it somebody uses Blender for other purposes then he has to switch between the regular settings and the Z-anatomy recommended settings. Loading and setup of an atlas should be simpler.
  • Hard to navigate. Keyboard shortcuts help (without that I could not do anything), but not granular enough (just show/hide 6-8 major categories). I also found it hard (could not really figure out even in the end) why items does not show up if I open the eye icon (and all parents’ eye icons). When I right-clicked and choose to show all items inside then it worked. I also found that it was almost impossible to use it with a touchpad (I would have needed the middle button or reconfigure keyboard shortcuts). It is mostly just the complexity of Blender, which is justified if you want to edit the model, but just for viewing feels too difficult. => Instead of using Blender for distribution, it would be better to use a simpler viewer. Virtual reality support in the viewer is essential, interacting in with a mouse and keyboard on a 2D screen is just painful compared to having two 6-DOF controllers in an immersive 3D environment. You can get a standalone Oculus Quest for $300, which should easily handle visualization of surface meshes and image cross-sections. A simple application that shows meshes and images like the OpenAnatomy web viewer would be sufficient, but it with virtual reality support.
  • I was not able to show labels with callouts, as I saw it on some screenshots.
  • Some anatomy seem to be missing. For example, I could not visualize the lymphatic system. => It would be nice to document the list of known issues/missing parts clearly, near the download link, so that users know what to expect.
  • Scalability: Management of even this single specimen is quite complicated. I don’t know how would you incorporate anatomical variations, pathologies, different taxonomies, coordinate systems, manage versioning, accept additions or change requests from others, keeping the models in sync with various other anatomical atlases, how could you correlate the meshes with ground truth data (CT, MRI, ultrasound, cryosections, etc.). => This is obviously very difficult, would take a lot of work, but coordinating with OpenAnatomy project or other open efforts should help. Projects could share common data model (USD?), desktop and web viewer, authoring tools (Blender, 3D Slicer), etc.