Poor segmentation and intersection performance

Hello everyone!

I have troubles with slicer’s performance while working with segmentation and segments. My goal is to build a heart segmentation that consists of 360 small segments. My workflow has two parts:

Part A: load a myocardium segmentation (a single object in seg.nrrd format) and add 360 wedges around it (like a cylinder)
Context: Slicer loads it as a binary label map representation, I have to convert it to closed surface otherwise the wedging takes several hours vs. 3 minutes now. I use the AddSegmentFromClosedSurfaceRepresentation function to add the wedges.

Part B: take the intersection between the initial myocardium segmentation and each wedge.
Context: When Part A completes, a window pops up saying that in order to edit the representation I have to convert it to a binary label map, which I do. The conversion takes 20 seconds. Then taking the intersections takes 50 minutes at best to complete.

I have several questions:

1. Is intersection only available for binary label maps?
  2. Is there a way to make taking the intersections faster? For example, doing it in a CLI module without visualizing it.

Please let me know if I am not being clear. I will greatly appreciate your help.