Preserve image rescale and slope when saving in NRRD file

@ lassoan I would argue that NRRD and NIfTI are very similar from a user perspective, but one core problem with DICOM to NRRD conversion is that NRRD is unable to preserve rescale intercept (0028,1052) and slope (0028,1053) . In contrast, NIfTI has a direct translation in scl_inter and scl_slope.

Consider the typical DICOM storage of CT scans, where the raw data is stored as a 12-bit unsigned integer (0…4095) and the rescale intercept/slope translates this to Hounsfield units:

(0028,0101) US 12       #   2, 1 BitsStored
(0028,1052) DS [-1024]  #   6, 1 RescaleIntercept
(0028,1053) DS [1]      #   2, 1 RescaleSlope

In this situation, a DICOM-to-NRRD converter must make a difficult decision:

1. Keep original data format. In this example values will appear to be 0…4096 rather than -1024…3072.
  2. Save image data as FLOAT32, requiring twice the disk space (and depending on the viewer, float vs int performance penalties).
  3. Recognize that in this case both the rescale slope and intercept are integers, so losslessly apply the intensity transform and save data as signed 16-bit integer.

While the final approach is attractive, I do not think it is common. Further, it will not work in situations like MRI-based arterial spin labeling where the slope and intercept values are not integers. Likewise, it will not work when one wants to use NRRD to create a detached header for a DICOM image.

In general, I am an advocate of NRRD, but as the developer of DICOM to NIfTI/NRRD converter (dcm2niix), the lack of a slope/intercept in NRRD keeps me up at night. I am not sure if all users are aware of the consequences of converting to NRRD.

1 Like

Issue also discussed here.