Refinement of stl files

Hello,

I saved a .stl file of the portal vein system from my CT scan. So basically a .stl file is a 2D surface mesh of the geometry. The thing is, this mesh which I have generated is very fine having very small elements. I do not want such a refined 2D file. Is there any way to control the refinement of the file?

Thanks and Regards
Viraj

If you are using the “Model Maker” module, you can reduce the number of triangles during surface generation with the “Decimation” parameter.

Optionally, you can post-process with MeshLab. They have a number of pre-made filters for polygon reduction.

Adam

2 Likes

See also the Surface Toolbox:

https://www.slicer.org/wiki/Documentation/Nightly/Modules/SurfaceToolbox

I am using segment editor followed by the segmentation module!

In Segmentations module, you can reduce number of triangles in the surface mesh by the following steps:

• click Update button in the Closed surface row in Representations section
  • click Binary labelmap -> Closed surface path
  • double-click on the value in the Decimation factor line, and enter a value of 0.8 (value between 0.0-1.0; the larger the value, the less triangles you’ll have in the mesh)
  • click Convert

You can convert from Segmentation to Model node by using the Export/Import segments section and then use Surface toolbox module to further smooth or decimate the mesh.

4 Likes