Robust ICP alignment tool

Hi,

I am again frustrated with the ICP alignment of the surface registration of 3D Slicer. I am just wondering is it not possible to use this method in 3D Slicer ?

This is for Blender and even with the basic settings it gives excellent results within less than a 30 seconds out of the box and in 3D Slicer even with max setting results wich takes minutes results are sub par.

This is what I want to do,

Though I haven’t add the results of Model to Model distance and view this on shape population view I did it here and the ICP blender results are fantastic.
I know I can get good results with Fiducuial registration method but ICP is much more convenient and is fully automatic rather than been semi automatic.

I can use both software to get what I want but it would be great if this problem many of us has can be fixed in 3D Slicer and I would very much appreciate if someone can fix this.

thank you

You can try and see if the rigid alignment in alpaca helps you. İt is available in SlicerMorph.

1 Like

thank @muratmaga

is this statement still valid?

“Linux users can only use ALPACA in 3D Slicer versions with date [2020-09-25] or older”

Do I need an older version?

Sorry that’s incorrect. Please use the latest preview and SlicerMorph.
I will tell remove that.

1 Like

Thanks for the shout! I worked pretty hard on the alignment tool, and while the underlying method is just plain ole ICP, I did some hacks that I found really helped users get good practical results.

1. Allow filtering of the regions to specific areas or areas to ignore in registrations
  2. Dynamically changing the sample size, to allow the initial iterations to go fast (small sample size) and then increasing
  3. Dynamically shrinking the minimum starting distance per iteration to refine the alignment

Glad to see people using it!

1 Like

Hi. I don’t understand what you mean here.

Related: Partial Surface Registration Tutorial - #4 by mau_igna_06