Segmentation Editor - painting also selects in previous and next image

Hello,

I am fairly new to 3D Slicer. It looks really good to me and I want to use it for my research.
I did some segmentation with data I had from previous studies and everything worked pretty good and as expected!
Unfortunately, I encountered problems with a new dataset this week and I can’t figure out why it doesn’t work. I spent a lot of time trying to solve it but I couldn’t find any tutorial or thread on this issue…

I have DICOM files which were captured from coronal plane with isometric voxels. The import and alignment looks.
When trying to paint or draw in sementation editor on any of the planes the selection is a bit messed up.
On the slice, which I painted, the selection shows some irregularities (holes) and additionally, previous and next slices has partial selection. I put together some screenshots to clarify what I mean. Unfortunately, if I have these parial selections, other tools like “Fill between slices” don’t work as expected.

This is what the slice with the selection looks like:
slice_selection.PNG

This is the previous slice:
slice_previous.PNG

This is the next slice:
slice_next.PNG

I tried using the same DICOM files with Materialise Mimics, this works as expected, so, I don’t think that there is a problem with the data files.

As I already mentioned, I am quite new to 3D Slicer. Maybe, I am just missing a necessary step which has to be done :thinking:

Can somebody please help me out on how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance, best regards,
Willi

This is expected if you segment on oblique slices. See this segmentation recipe for details:

Thanks a lot, it seems to work now perfectly!

1 Like