Slicer 4.11.0 missing modules after crash

Hello,

I have been using Slicer for a while with great success. However, yesterday, my computer crashed while i was running Slicer together with some other programs. When i tried to reload Slicer, i noticed several modules missing in the modules list. I also noticed aproximately 50 critical errors in the log.
I have little knowledge about software debugging so i have no idea where to start or what information to provide…

Slicer version: 4.11.0-2019-06-14 r28295
Windows 10 x64
Some of the error messages:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
NameError: name ‘getSlicerRCFileName’ is not defined

File “E:/Camiel/Uni/Stage II - OCON/Programma’s/Slicer/Slicer 4.11.0-2019-06-14/bin/…/lib/Slicer-4.11/qt-scripted-modules/CompareVolumes.py”, line 25, in init
“”").substitute({ ‘a’:parent.slicerWikiUrl, ‘b’:slicer.app.majorVersion, ‘c’:slicer.app.minorVersion })
AttributeError: module ‘slicer’ has no attribute ‘app’

qSlicerPythonCppAPI::instantiateClass - [ “CompareVolumes” ] - Failed to instantiate scripted pythonqt class “CompareVolumes” 0x1958c278398
Fail to instantiate module “CompareVolumes”

File “E:/Camiel/Uni/Stage II - OCON/Programma’s/Slicer/Slicer 4.11.0-2019-06-14/bin/…/lib/Slicer-4.11/qt-scripted-modules/DICOM.py”, line 34, in init
self.parent.helpText += self.getDefaultModuleDocumentationLink()
File “E:\Camiel\Uni\Stage II - OCON\Programma’s\Slicer\Slicer 4.11.0-2019-06-14\bin\Python\slicer\ScriptedLoadableModule.py”, line 52, in getDefaultModuleDocumentationLink
self.parent.slicerWikiUrl, slicer.app.majorVersion, slicer.app.minorVersion, docPage)
AttributeError: module ‘slicer’ has no attribute ‘app’

qSlicerPythonCppAPI::instantiateClass - [ “DICOM” ] - Failed to instantiate scripted pythonqt class “DICOM” 0x1958c27cd58
Fail to instantiate module “DICOM”

File “”, line 1, in
File “E:\Camiel\Uni\Stage II - OCON\Programma’s\Slicer\Slicer 4.11.0-2019-06-14\lib\Python\Lib\imp.py”, line 170, in load_source
module = _exec(spec, sys.modules[name])
File “”, line 618, in _exec
File “”, line 678, in exec_module
File “”, line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
File “E:/Camiel/Uni/Stage II - OCON/Programma’s/Slicer/Slicer 4.11.0-2019-06-14/bin/…/lib/Slicer-4.11/qt-scripted-modules/DICOMPatcher.py”, line 3, in
from main import vtk, qt, ctk, slicer
ImportError: cannot import name ‘vtk’

Can anyone help me repair my Slicer? I read somewhere that reinstalling Slicer wont fix this since some files must be deleted or replaced or whatsoever?

Thanks in advance!

Camiel

It looks like your disk got corrupted. Probably need to run some repair tool. Yes, reinstalling Slicer is a good idea too.

@pieper Thanks for the reaction.

I have tried running repair tools but those didn’t find any corupted or broken files. I have also tried reinstalling Slicer. i have tried reinstaling the same version and also the most recent version. those, however, both showed the same problems.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Ah, it looks like you installed Slicer in a directory with spaces and an apostrophe - that is probably the issue.

E:/Camiel/Uni/Stage II - OCON/Programma’s/

When you run the installer can you pick a place like e:\slicer or similar?

Good catch - special characters in the path is a likely root cause of the issue. There are some more application startup troubleshooting instructions here: https://www.slicer.org/wiki/Documentation/Nightly/Developers/Tutorials/Troubleshooting#Debugging_Slicer_application_startup_issues

Changing the install folder indeed solved the issue!
Thanks for the help!

1 Like